Circuits vs Straight Sets

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

Circuits vs Straight Sets

Postby PierreSuter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:11 pm

I don't have much experience training with circuits, but some guys seem to love them.

Let's say I do a workout of these 4 exercises to train shoulders and arms, with a bodybuilder-ish 60-70% 1RM for 5 sets each to near failure:
standing DB press
face pulls
EZ curls
CB bench

What would be the difference in training effect of doing them in a circuit vs doing traditional straight sets?
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Re: Circuits vs Straight Sets

Postby stevein7 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:10 am

Top of my head response - I think straight sets are better.

You grease the grove, turn on pathways whatever the science may be, when you change the move then you grease a different pathway.

I doubt it is a big deal though. In the long run it probably makes no difference.
I think a bigger factor is rest between sets. Sometimes I do complexes, amrap, emom and the like but if you are looking for strength, I think the long rest periods, over three mins on the timer if you go that way are the way. And lots of low rep sets. Something like 10 sets of three on a big compound and maybe some pissing around with an isolation move, 3 sets of ten, is an hour in the gym. Obviously this is time consuming, and yo are not getting the cardio effect, but I think if strength is the issue, then that is the way to go.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby randygillett » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:18 am

Pretty much what Steve said. The workout you posted would be a nice change of pace done occasionally for variety and avoiding mental or physical staleness. The fact that you are thinking about doing this might be an indication that you need the change.
"whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes extinct". ---- Michael Crichton
randygillett
3000 and no tag? PM Snadden for a tag

Postby BLACKFLAG » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:22 pm

been thinking for years of circuits/giant sets etc as some bodybuilding/fitness gimmick with the only end result of draining and distracting you before the uber-psyched heavy compound sets...these days I do most of my work that way.
Of course movement selection is crucial.
I like a good mix of activation/antagonist/post-fatigue stuff.
BLACKFLAG
Giovanni! No pulla da penis!

Postby PierreSuter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 pm

I've always done straight sets, normally with just enough rest to catch my breath and get my heart rate under control. Any longer and it feels like I'm sitting around wasting time.

I've heard people say that if you keep your rest periods short, you can handle more weight using circuits because you get several minutes in between each particular lift. That has me intrigued.

On the other hand, if you want to murder a particular exercise or muscle group, it makes more sense to me to do straight sets rather than spread your effort around to different lifts/areas.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby Jughead » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:26 pm

For myself, the more I complicate it, the less likely I am to actually work hard instead of just getting through it. But that may also be my bias talking, since I find circuits tedious and bothersome.
If the time isn't now, when the fuck is it going to be?
Jughead
not as lame as CrossFit

Postby Snake Plisken » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:12 am

2 cents/ I think a bottom line, when changes like this come up, is a new approach/stimulus and thus, it has one training differently than they have adapted to. In some cases, a switch might show up with more intensity and in other cases maybe less. If one trains as Pierre states, only leaving enough time to catch his breath between work, then a longer rest might show new gains/stimulus. If, on the other hand one is kinda bored and has slowed the intensity and push over a period with the same ho hum stale work, a new approach may in fact have one using new found intensity/interest.
What if doing the Hokey Pokey and then turning yourself around, is really what it's all about???
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby BLACKFLAG » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Jughead wrote:For myself, the more I complicate it, the less likely I am to actually work hard instead of just getting through it. But that may also be my bias talking, since I find circuits tedious and bothersome.

Exactly how I've been thinkin for years...but found out that's the whole point: going through the motions, piling up a slab of (useful) somewhat untaxing work in between the main stuff.
Used to spend most of my rest periods trying to psyche up for the next set, often setting up for the disaster, now I prefer hitting movements that both may help the working sets themselves, while improving body composition.
BLACKFLAG

Postby stevein7 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:13 am

One internet guru advocates;

as much easy exercise as you wish - walking and the like
strength train 5 days per week
complexes (the lung busting redline stuff) twice per week.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby PierreSuter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Hey BF I kinda wondered how hard you push the auxiliary exercises that you include in your giant sets. Like the thick bar pullups and band pushdowns. Do you go near failure on those or just do some easy reps and move on to the next movement?

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby BLACKFLAG » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:06 pm

band pressdowns=near failure
2"axle pullups=sets of 20, no failure
BLACKFLAG

Return to Training