Knowing what you know now

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

Knowing what you know now

Postby mrjack » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:26 pm

Knowing what you know now, what would be your ideal masters routine for pure strength ?
All things are possible for he who believes!
mrjack
2nd Rate Lance Wannabe

Re: Knowing what you know now

Postby stevein7 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:28 am

Ideal? Pure strength?
Squat a lot. When sick of it, deload with low volume, repeat.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby GTheo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:00 am

I know most here are not fans of Brooks Kubik, but I believe that something in between routines 1 and 2 here would not be bad:

http://dinosaurtraining.blogspot.com/20 ... -best.html

On a regular basis for a masters lifter, one single at 100% is too much and 20 singles at 85% is also too much. When I'm doing a singles routine, I range from 5 singles at 75% to 3 singles at 90%. Maybe a bit heavier when I'm feeling especially good.
"...and the way to lower a weight after you have cleaned it is to fucking lower it you pussy." -- MLL

"No matter which you choose, you won't be too far from being right." -- JChang
GTheo
No tagline means we HATE YOU GEORGE!

Postby PierreSuter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 am

I'd rotate a 3 week cycle: 1 week with 50% of 1RM, one week with 70%, one week with 90%. On the lighter weeks, either do higher reps or keep the reps low and do them with speed. That's the main thing to keep you out of trouble long term. The weekly training split, exercises, and number of sets would be up to personal preference and recovery ability, but it's hard to go wrong with 2 days upper and 2 lower per week, 4-6 exercises per session for 3-5 working sets. Warm up thoroughly. Don't grind through exercises that hurt. Include some core work, rotator cuff prehab, and mobility work especially if you have a desk job.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby Snake Plisken » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:12 pm

For pure "singles" strength!?, (and for deadlifting/because my BP, seemed to respond differently) I had the best results with what some have mentioned. In a nutshell x5s, x3s x2s x1s, not in same workout. Lots of triples and doubles bumping weight up over time. (See Bob Gaynor DL program) I steered pretty clear of grinding to much on a single, but it came in handy at times to get over scary weight numbers that might have been holding me back. 85%-90%-95%ers multi sets/low to single reps.
I also had luck with moving the heights during those low reps/sets work, ie; 15" a few pulls, then drop weight #50 say and hit a few 2" deficits. Next workout hit 13" height and floor. Like Dan Green stuff I think.
I did a good bit of instinctive training and just edging weight up as best possible not much if any thinking with calculator more percentages perhaps.
What if doing the Hokey Pokey and then turning yourself around, is really what it's all about???
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby lockout » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:24 am

For what? Powerlifting? If I was competing?
I'd just do a 2 day workout similar to the John Sanchez template. Except the only assistance exercise would be rows done on day 2. And the reps would be 8-12x1-3.
Day 1 would be squat or deadlift day. And day 2 would be bench day. Each lift is done exactly as it will be on contest day, and constantly work on technique.

I wouldn't change anything else. No conjugate bullshit. Stick to specificity. When you hit a plateau on singles and hit a new 1RM, back off and work up to a new 3RM and then a new 2RM.

Simple. Right? A workout like that would actually work really really good if you worked hard on it.
lockout
2nd Rate Canadian Wannabe

Postby stevein7 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:14 am

In my mind, a ''Bulgarian'' approach is ideal. But what is the individual capacity to cope with this? If you can pull off a daily squat, press, pull heavy and back off volume, great, but most will have to scale back. A 40-50year old who has worked for years should have a good capacity. A calm approach is needed, no dramatic reps Deloads also make this doable. There is a similar Duane Hansen idea on the nets and he recommended it to me...
Just a concept to ponder:

Day 1: Squat and Bench Press
Work up to a max single in the squat, then do several more singles with 50-100 pounds less than you made. After that, work up to a max single in the bench press, followed by as many sets of doubles as you care to do with 50 pounds less than you made.

Day 2: Press and Deadlift
Work up to a max single in the press. After that, do 10 singles in the deadlift with about 80% of your max. After this, you can do all of the "other stuff" that you want to do.

Then, get back in the gym as soon as you can and repeat Day 1. Aim to lift more today than you did before. After that, repeat Day 2. Aim for a bigger weight in the press and add some weight to the barbell you are deadlifting.

Work this program hard for two weeks, then spend a week doing this:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday:
Squat - 135/2 reps x 10 sets
Bench - 135/2 x 10
Deadlift - 225/1 x 10
Press - 135/1 x 10

After that, jump right back into the original program and bust ass for another two weeks. Repeat the cycle of 2 weeks heavy/1 week light until you are strong enough.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7

Postby Seano » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:58 am

Interesting responses. I'm still a whippersnapper so I can't really comment.

But I am finding that by implementing more bodybuilding exercises and a higher rep range I feel 10x better and actually carry some muscle. Never did it before because the 'experts' say anything over 5 is a waste of time/ cuts into recovery etc....

I think something like what Pierre outlined (50-70-90%) would be the most realistic.
Seano
grade c turd burglar

Postby lockout » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:00 pm

Seano wrote:Interesting responses. I'm still a whippersnapper so I can't really comment.

But I am finding that by implementing more bodybuilding exercises and a higher rep range I feel 10x better and actually carry some muscle. Never did it before because the 'experts' say anything over 5 is a waste of time/ cuts into recovery etc....

I think something like what Pierre outlined (50-70-90%) would be the most realistic.

I'm still going with it depends on what your specific goals are and what your specific situation is. Multiple sets of 1-3 is the single best strategy that made my lifts the strongest. High rep endurance stuff that you'd do for bodybuilding or encounter in strongman will help too because it builds muscle, and with practice you can put those bigger muscles to work.

But anyways, like I said, it depends on your goals. I don't do it that way anymore. I do higher reps instead. Because I'm not competing.

But that brings up a new question. Just because I'm not competing, does that mean that I have to do high reps and that I shouldn't do sets of 1-3? I don't know. I just know I hate doing heavy reps without a spotter or a power rack. And I don't always have access to that.
lockout
2nd Rate Canadian Wannabe

Postby stevein7 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:04 am

stevein7

Postby stevein7 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:53 am

Exercise selection
When I started, I did a lot of isolaion stuff, machines, highish reps.
Now I do the heavy compounds and a single set of curls, calves, abs, extensions.
Now and again I change it up, but the vast majority of the time it's squats, deads, bench, ohp for lots of lo rep sets.
Chins, kbell swings and snatch are a grey area. I go through a patch of getting them to a good level then let them go.
Running is probably something that has had negative effects, I'd say never do more than 1 hour would be good advice. But I like to be able to run.
stevein7

Return to Training