How strong or weak are you?

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

How strong or weak are you?

Postby lockout » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:35 pm

I've done more abbriviated HIT and 5x5 type workouts for the last few years. They work ok. I know some people manage to get them to work long term. But recently I felt good and was actually inspired to start putting in some hard work again.

I've watched some inspirational videos including some interviews with old school bodybuilders such as Tom Platz and Frank Zane. Listening to their perspectives, they both made good points supporting the argument that bodybuilding is more an art than a science. Frank Zane for example was actually a math teacher by trade, but realized that it isn't the numbers that count in bodybuilding. You may have 20" arms, but how do they make you look on stage? Only pictures tell the actual truth about that, not the numbers. And Platz? There was more of a mental aspect to his training than anything.

It was also inspiring to me when I realized some guys had to take juice just to get similar numbers as me. It made me realize I can achieve that again "if" I'm willing to work hard again. Because that's how I achieved it before.

So I went to the gym this week to do this 2 day workout from Brooks Kubik's book Dinosaur Training. It's similar to the "don't be a pussy" workout by wild boar man in the article section, but arranged slightly different along with a few strongman movements. Compared to an abbriviated HIT workout, it's actually a lot of volume. But it's a good workout because I hit everything.

And I worked hard. Lots of reps on squats. Rest pause method on all assistance exercises. I worked hard on everything. And I got really really sore off it.

Squats I realize if I start light and work hard, the strength will come. Same with assistance exercises which the HIT guys say you don't need. I did machine curls with only 2 plates on the stack, it was hard and my arms were sore as ever. For side bends I only used 55 lb plates, and that too was hard.

I don't know exactly what my point is. But these days I'm more leaning towards simply believing in hard work more than anything else. Not to try to make a science out of it. Because HIT style looks cute on paper, but the more extreme you go with it the more often it doesn't work so good in the long run. If a set goes shitty, they say it's overtraining, ruduce volume, and rest more.

But old school style? If a set goes lousy? Take a break and rest. Then push yourself to try again. Sometimes you just need more rest or even to take the time to get your head in the workout, then try again. I've gotten just about anything to work for me in the past. High reps low reps, it all works if you work hard at it. If you don't work hard you get nothing.

The other thing is, like I said, some exercises I did lightly and it was hard. To me that means I'm weak and out of shape in some muscles. If abbriviated workouts worked so good, that wouldn't be the case. Fuck that.

That's why I like that 2 day workout. It hits every muscle. Also very well if you work hard at it. If you work every muscle then every muscle will be strong. But with only basics, you don't get that. You need to throw in assistance.

And what are the excuses? In Clatence Bass's books, he shows that he works every muscle and includes arm work and ab work. He trained that way for decades. The guy is almost 80 years old. Us guys in our 30's and 40's think we're getting old. But not quite yet. We're young. So work hard. No excuses!
lockout
2nd Rate Lance Wannabe

Return to Training