A few sensible training ideas.

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

A few sensible training ideas.

Postby lockout » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:27 pm

I just picked up a few ideas and just wanted to share.

I got some ideas out of this article I found about Peary Rader:
https://physicalculturestudy.com/2016/0 ... s-routine/

As far as I know, Peary was one of the first to popularize the squat during the early-mid 1900's. One thing I noticed is that he recommended deloads (off weeks) once after every 4 weeks. That idea was made out to be a new thing, but in reality he was doing it a long long time ago.

The other idea I liked is that he wasn't using deadlifts in his most basic mass building routines. I would agree that deadlifts aren't necessary for building overall body mass. Barbell rows work just fine. I like deadlifts which are certainly necessary for strength sports such as powerlifting and strongman. But I can see how only using barbell rows for back can work out well in a most basic routine. Also, I'm realizing now as I age that doing deadlifts week after week year after year might be overdoing it on the back.

Speaking of that, my back has absolutely been killing me lately. And I admit that there's some body parts of mine that just aren't as strong as I'd like them to be. I noticed over the years that when you try to stick to basics to get good overall full body coverage, some muscles don't get worked as much as they could or need. For example, legs are easy as you only need squats and calf raises to build big legs. Yet chest realistically needs a few different exercises to truly get fully worked well. And arms definitely can often benefit from direct work.

My solution? I remembered an idea from the book "Titan Training Manual" where they recommend doing 3 week specialization routines after 8 weeks of hard training, followed by one week off. The specialization is where you work on one lagging body part only for a few weeks while giving the rest a break. Sure, it sounds stupid at first glance. But let's be real. The rest of your muscles aren't going to melt off in those 3 weeks. If anything, it'd give the rest of your body a well needed rest during those few weeks off.

So here's an idea I thought of:
weeks 1-4: full body twice per week
week 5: off week
weeks 6-9: full body twice per week
weeks 10-12: specialization
week 13: off week

Another idea I thought of is one could use barbell rows in weeks 1-4 and then use RDL's during the second 4 week block. That way the lower back is progressively being worked heavier, followed by some rest weeks. That way you can work it hard while managing fatigue. Or sometimes you could go through periods without the deadlifts at all in order to save recovery to work harder on squats.

Just throwing some ideas out there and wanted to share. As I age I want to continue to work hard. But I've also got to try to be smart about it. I got 25 years lifting down and I'd like to be lifting for another 40+ years if I can actually live that long.
lockout
2nd Rate Canadian Wannabe

Re: A few sensible training ideas.

Postby stevein7 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:09 am

One idea is that you are naturally going to be good at squat or deadlift and prioritise one not both. Personally I think deadlift is kinder to me, recent knee issues have reinforced this. If you are a really keen powerlifter, you may have to be more balanced, but the rest of us mortals, why not go with the flow?
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby Shaf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:58 pm

why don't you follow McCallum's Keys to Progress. Much better than Rader.
Shaf
The Last Guru PBUH

Postby lockout » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Shaf wrote:why don't you follow McCallum's Keys to Progress. Much better than Rader.

Thanks man, I'll look into it.

I liked Rader's stuff because it's very oldschool from the 1930's. And it actually is quite sensible. And abbreviated. When I looked into it, I actually was quite surprised to find how close it actually resembled a lot of the newer abbreviated HIT type routines such as that found in Mentzer's HD2 book from the 1990's. Just think, what Mike was preaching in the 1990's, Peary had already done that 60 years prior.
lockout
2nd Rate Canadian Wannabe

Return to Training