GHR standards

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

GHR standards

Postby BLACKFLAG » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:28 am

Started nailing these semi-daily in the past couple months.
I have the floor-based version, which is pretty awesome and IMHO encourages good form.
Now, yesterday nailed 30 controlled bw reps at the end of the session.

Any ideas/experiences about how these relate to DL strenght for a man under 90kg?

Thx a lot
BLACKFLAG
Giovanni! No pulla da penis!

Re: GHR standards

Postby Snake Plisken » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:14 am

No real feedback here BF, sorry. I have been wanting to put my GHR bench back together and do some rep stuff, but thus far it is still in the garage in pieces.
What if doing the Hokey Pokey and then turning yourself around, is really what it's all about???
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby Shaf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:55 pm

I have recently gotten access to GHRs again, but I haven't done them in almost a decade and I am having to do negatives on them then use a push to get myself up.
Shaf
The Last Guru PBUH

Postby CarnalSalvation » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:39 pm

I love GHR's, but I prefer the benches over the floor based type...probably because I'm fat. That also makes it tough to compare experiences with them, I think, the difference in BW.

Have you tried loading them? I really like bands for GHR's. At least on the machines, the top end is too easy and bands fix the resistance curve.
There's no such thing as a liberal. A liberal is a commie with a college education thinking negro thoughts.
CarnalSalvation
Who likes short shorts?

Postby BLACKFLAG » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:18 am

will try adding a band Tay !!!

also, I have an old 20kg vest that may help as well. Do you see a stronger DL start off the floor when you do them consistently? Personally was doing well and feeling on my way for a decent comeback when I tore my groin in january.
BLACKFLAG

Postby CarnalSalvation » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:18 pm

BLACKFLAG wrote:will try adding a band Tay !!!

also, I have an old 20kg vest that may help as well. Do you see a stronger DL start off the floor when you do them consistently? Personally was doing well and feeling on my way for a decent comeback when I tore my groin in january.

GHR's seem to improve everything lower body based for me. It's one of the only things where I reckon the Westside hype was totally accurate. Most lifts I cycle in and out of routines, but GHR's are like BB rows for me in that they never get rotated out.

I would say that on DL's, I noticed most of the improvement in the mid-range. This may be deceiving though because A. I tend to stall just a tad below my knees, so any improvement in this range would be notable and B. It's possible the midrange seemed easier because my start was quicker.
There's no such thing as a liberal. A liberal is a commie with a college education thinking negro thoughts.
CarnalSalvation
Who likes short shorts?

Postby BLACKFLAG » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:25 am

are you supposed to let your knees dip down a lot while sliding the upper legs on the pad? I try to keep that to a minimum (resulting more in a nordic ham curl style) but I've seen many vids where the dudes dip down mercilessy.

Also, there was an article on t-mag where the author suggested to elevate the rear a bit to keep tension at the top.
BLACKFLAG

Postby CarnalSalvation » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:11 pm

BLACKFLAG wrote:are you supposed to let your knees dip down a lot while sliding the upper legs on the pad? I try to keep that to a minimum (resulting more in a nordic ham curl style) but I've seen many vids where the dudes dip down mercilessy.

Also, there was an article on t-mag where the author suggested to elevate the rear a bit to keep tension at the top.

That's kind of a personal preference, I think. I prefer to allow some dip, I don't actively try to prevent it. I don't do it on purpose, either though.

You know, I think I have heard that before too, about the elevation. Never gave it a shot, though.
CarnalSalvation
Who likes short shorts?

Postby PierreSuter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 am

For me there's a huge difference in difficulty depending on how far back i set the foot brace.

If the foot brace is up close, my knees are up high on the pad and I can barely do any reps... its like doing a leg curl with BW and there's a lot of stress right behind the knee.

With the foot brace further back, my knees are lower on the pad and slide down as I come up as BF described... that way is much easier and I can do them with added weight or bands. I like them better that way or somewhere in between.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby climber511 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:56 am

I set up so that when I do them it hits me the way the name reads - Glutes - Hams - Gastrocs. Setting the foot plate too far back or forward changes the stress to other muscle groups. So I do get knee dip but I can do high reps this way and loading is easy with bands or weights. The floor based or pad way forward hurts my knees in a bad way.
climber511
ass kicking old man

Return to Training