Case for cardio

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

Case for cardio

Postby stevein7 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:55 am

I'll throw in a pebble, see if it generates a ripple...
Effects of weight training...."On the cardiovascular/respiratory side, adaptations are minimal. There is a slight increase in left ventricular hypertrophy associated with resistance training, but ejection fraction and stroke volume are largely unchanged - in other words, this enlargement of the heart is not associated with any increase in bloodflow, cardiovascular strength or improved “aerobic” ability.
Note that this is an important point: Many individuals seem to believe that resistance training, as it can elevate heart rate, can result in beneficial cardiovascular adaptations equivalent to those found through endurance training. This is false. The body adapts to imposed demand, and the most significant cardiovascular adaptations are a result of extended-duration activity and energy utilization, not short-duration exertion." Hybrid Athlete, Alex Viada
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Re: Case for cardio

Postby randygillett » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:10 am

Reminds me of 4x400 Olympic runner Crystal Cox who got smoked by everybody when she had to run up a hill on the show Survivor. On the other hand I've been in super good bicycling shape, riding 2-300 miles per week, only to have my heart and lungs explode when I first attempt to chop wood or carry my carcass by foot at a rapid pace. It seems, at least in my case, that cardio is very specific and the nervous system plays a large part in being prepared for any given activity.
"whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes extinct". ---- Michael Crichton
randygillett
3000 and no tag? PM Snadden for a tag

Postby GTheo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:48 am

randygillett wrote:It seems, at least in my case, that cardio is very specific and the nervous system plays a large part in being prepared for any given activity.

I don't think you're alone here. I believe most people would need specific training to be prepared for the specific activity.
"...and the way to lower a weight after you have cleaned it is to fucking lower it you pussy." -- MLL

"No matter which you choose, you won't be too far from being right." -- JChang
GTheo
No tagline means we HATE YOU GEORGE!

Postby GTheo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:50 am

This kind of goes along with the 20 rep squat discussion. "All" a set of 475x20 shows is that the person can squat 475*. They might get stuck in the hole with 500.

*It, of course, shows a high level of specific endurance too.
"...and the way to lower a weight after you have cleaned it is to fucking lower it you pussy." -- MLL

"No matter which you choose, you won't be too far from being right." -- JChang
GTheo
No tagline means we HATE YOU GEORGE!

Postby FMJ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:22 am

Specificity is key in my experience. Back when I was playing plenty of handball (meaning constant alternation between sprints, jumps, jogging and sideways shuffle for 60 mins) I could play a full match and still be somewhat fine afterwards. But every time we did any endurance running I would be completely trashed. Sore for days and feet all torn to shit.

Obviously, I was already pretty heavy for such an activity (~110-115kg) but the game endurance did not have a lot of carry over plain running endurance.

On the other hand, you can do a lot more total training for endurance if you vary the type a little and I assume this would have a total net benefit.
"I hit you with your own pimp!"
FMJ
No one man should have all that chowder

Postby Jughead » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:48 am

When I was riding trails regularly I was gassed like crazy the one time I had to run a few city blocks. I think specificity is underrated in importance by most of the gurus I have seen.
It is easier to act yourself into a new way of thinking, than it is to think yourself into a new way of acting. -- Millard Fuller
Jughead
not as lame as CrossFit

Postby PierreSuter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 am

Agree with the specificity bit but disagree with the OP about weight training with elevated heart rate having little cardio vascular benefit. Interval training has been shown to increase VO2 max and elasticity of arteries and veins more effectively than steady state cardio. Weight training when done in a way that elevates your heartrate to 80%+ of max is essentially interval training. That would mean something like high rep squats, not PL or machine curls. Clarence Bass's site is a good resource.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby Snake Plisken » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 am

Certainly agree with the 20 rep squats/TB deads giving me more fitness. Doing stairs years ago with furniture, had most help puffing more than me. (and I was the older guy) The 20+ reppers was pretty much the entire amount of my cardio W/O's.
What if doing the Hokey Pokey and then turning yourself around, is really what it's all about???
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Return to Training