Setting out the problem

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

Setting out the problem

Postby stevein7 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:24 pm

I like this. I can't do it. Maybe the deadlift. Some I don't even know what I could do. Still, doing what I can, feeling ok.

Physical Standards

Strength

Deadlift. 2.5x bodyweight

Pull up. 20 reps men, 10 reps women (Also, 1 rep with 48kg men, 24kg women.)

Muscle up (strict). 5 men. 2 women.

Military Press. Half bodyweight in one arm

Handstand Push Up (from deficit). 5 reps men, 2 reps women

Pistol Squat. 20 reps men. 10 reps women

One Arm, One Leg Push Up. 5 reps men. 1 rep women.

KB Front Squat. 2 x 32kg x 15 reps men; 2 x 24kg x 8 reps women

Hollow Hold. 90 seconds

Plank. 5 minutes

Conditioning

5 minute snatch test. 100 reps in 5 minutes or less with 24kg men, 16kg women.

10 minute crawl test. Crawl non-stop for 10 minutes.

Great Destroyer Complex. 2 x 20kg men. 2 x 12kg women.

3 mile run in under 21 minutes.

Mobility/Flexibility

10 minutes in bottom of bodyweight squat, uninterrupted

Full splits (american)

Full back bridge x 60 seconds

Functional Movement Screen Above 15 points, with No Red Flags

Skill/Longevity

Handstand. 30 seconds

Turkish Get Up balancing dixie cup of water. 1 rep each arm

Stand on one leg. 60 seconds each

Get up and off the ground without use of hands
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Re: Setting out the problem

Postby lockout » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:50 am

Where do you get all that shit from? Why not just keep it simple? Squats, bench, deadlift? If you can do good on all 3 of those lifts, you will be really fucking strong.

I remember back when I was in my 20's and reading on the forums and hearing guys talk about all the different exercises they did for legs. But for me it was always squats, deadlifts (conventional and/or RDL), and standing calf raises. Always worked fine for me. Never changed it, never needed to. Although I did slow down in my 30's. I could squat 315x7 back in the day and 385 for a few reps, all the way down. Not bad.

Things can be simple. I can also remember trying a few crossfit workouts with some military guys. My limit strength was much better than theirs. But even the most out of shape of them could blow me away on the endurance stuff. I'm not sure how it would have gone if I would have stuck with it. But let's just think. If you can't do a weight for a single than you can't do it for reps. At least that's the way a strongman competitor explained it to me years ago. Limit strength sets the ceiling on what you can do for reps. So you need limit strength for any sort of endurance.

So I'm just saying. Things can be simple. What do military personnel do that a weightlifter doesn't? Last time I knew it was at the minimum running 3 times a week.
lockout
2nd Rate Lance Wannabe

Postby PierreSuter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:17 pm

Those strength goals look pretty good to me for a guy under 200 pounds. If you're a really big guy or a female, good luck.

Some goofy stuff in the mobility and conditioning sections. 10 minute crawl test? Try that at your local gym... sounds like a great test of resisting shame, humiliation, and sore knees.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby Jughead » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:45 pm

My cynical (probably too charitable) view is that these lists are made by people who will never be elite at anything and seek to either A) convince themselves otherwise and/or B) tell themselves that if they can't, at least that strong guy who smokes them at everything that matters can't do some of these feats.
What doesn't come out on the page just comes out some other way. -- Stephen King
Jughead
almost as diesel as Chuck Norris

Postby stevein7 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:01 am

I agree there is a lot of unnecessary complexity there. Half the moves I have never done.

But

A good max squat bench dead is not enough to prepare you for real life physical stuff.
They can be part of the solution.

Throw in some sprints of varying distances, a longer run or bike, some kettle bell stuff, press-up, chins, dips.

That to me is a good all round stuff.

No need to get too "crossfit random"
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby Snake Plisken » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:35 am

stevein7 wrote:
A good max squat bench dead is not enough to prepare you for real life physical stuff.
They can be part of the solution.

Right and in fact probably more unnecessary, especially heavy single maxes. I would think WSM training styles, like dragging, walking with loads, higher rep strength work on compounds, would be way more productive and transfer over to life's daily stuff. See Rosstraining perhaps
What if doing the Hokey Pokey and then turning yourself around, is really what it's all about???
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Return to Training