How much you military press?

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

How much you military press?

Postby lockout » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:14 pm

Just a fun question. How much do you do on standing military press?

I want to get my military press up. It's a good lift.

I remember years ago on the marunde-muscle forum someone asked the question how much Jesse benched. Jesse's reply was that he didn't even bench so he didn't know, but if he had to guess, he thought he could probably do about 700 lbs. He said he mostly focused on overhead work, and any benching type movements like inclines or dips were only assistance.

I also remember once years ago I focused only on military press for a while, no benching. Then when I went back to benching and tried, I set a PR.

So yeah, military press is a rather descent lift. I like it.

But the strange thing I noticed is that I don't get sore at all from military press, but I do get really sore from bench press and other similar movements. Yet it still seems to help the bench press if I work at it.
lockout
2nd Rate Canadian Wannabe

Re: How much you military press?

Postby FMJ » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:14 am

I have done 122.5kg (~270lbs) and 100kg x 8 or so.

I remember not getting sore in the shoulders from overhead presses. Turns out I was sore in the lower tarps which can be hard to notice. That was interesting. Perhaps you should check if it is the same in your case. It got better with practice and patience.

Jesse Marunde was a great overhead presser. I doubt he could bench 700lbs (raw) but then, that list is very short.
"I hit you with your own pimp!"
FMJ
No one man should have all that chowder

Postby Chris McCarthy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:50 pm

I assume this was the result that was wanted but...there's no fucking way I'd accept Marunde benching 700.
Chris McCarthy
This is a meaningless custom tag

Postby PierreSuter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:48 pm

My strict OHP has always been around 2/3 of my bench, give or take a couple %. My best bench was 345x5, press was 220x5. Now its more like 295x5 and 195x5. There were a few regulars on this board who hit 300, way out of my league.

I think Marunde was more like a 450 bencher. Not really built to bemch or squat and more known for his athleticism than brute strength.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby lockout » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:48 pm

I found this video of Jesse pressing 324x4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSQViwL_04c
That's some serious weight.

He did awesome in strong man.

But I can think of some guys stronger than that in certain lifts. How about Vasily Alexeyev with his 507 lb press? And what about squats? Jesse had a video of him doing 407x20. But Tom Platz could do a heck of a lot more than that and in stricter form.

There are some very strong guys out there. But for strongman you've got to have everything. The biggest and strongest guys tend to easily do well in strongman. But I noticed that guys with the best all around athleticism with both strength and endurance, they can pickup strongman very quickly and excel at it immediately without prior event training. At least that's what I noticed.

You can be a strong man. But without endurance, you aren't going to last the events. Plus even if you aren't as strong as the next guy, you can make up for it in other ways such as technique.
lockout

Postby Snake Plisken » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:17 am

I think the better WSM guys are taller than said PL'ers. Marunde was 6' 4"
They have an advantage in some ways, like pulling and carrying, stone lifts to a certain height etc.
Pressing, especially BP's, are good for shorter limb guys.

Marunde was not a bad OH presser, here is him jerking #495 behind the neck...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wou9Xbszdps
What if doing the Hokey Pokey and then turning yourself around, is really what it's all about???
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby lockout » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Snake Plisken wrote:I think the better WSM guys are taller than said PL'ers. Marunde was 6' 4"
They have an advantage in some ways, like pulling and carrying, stone lifts to a certain height etc.
Pressing, especially BP's, are good for shorter limb guys.

Marunde was not a bad OH presser, here is him jerking #495 behind the neck...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wou9Xbszdps

That's some serious weight man. 495 is insanely heavy, IMO. But I ain't a big dude.
lockout

Return to Training