Greg on periodisation

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

Greg on periodisation

Postby stevein7 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:51 am

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/perio ... ry-theory/

Now this is a gross simplification of what he is saying but it may not be far off the mark...

For powerlifting you need to do the power lifts with the workload you can handle and cut the volume a bit shortly before a comp. Job done.

the comments section was a good read.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Re: Greg on periodisation

Postby FMJ » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:35 am

Interesting as always. Though I would like a little more debate on the benefits and/or detriments of block training for hypertrophy and strength and some people in the comments already asked. It is a small effect but it is the main reason for focusing on hypertrophy and strength at separate times instead of putting in work for both at once. But maybe the effect is to small to matter for most people anyway. Maybe the psychological benefits of seeing no significant strength/muscle drops outweighs the additional 2 or 3% extra perfomance.

Anyway, lifting enough to gain muscle and backing off at times for peak performance and/or to dissipate general fatigue seems to be 90% of all you need to know to be good.
"I hit you with your own pimp!"
FMJ
No one man should have all that chowder

Postby stevein7 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:33 am

Yes, the most direct simple path seems to be the way, according to Greg.
Obviously he adds some ifs and buts.
I think it comes down to workload. This is not exactly the same as volume, but it can be pretty close.

Maybe there is no relevance, but I have read many times that people who pushed up their mileage improved their 5k times.

5k is a fast race, but just adding volume was enough.

Each individual has to judge it, but a gradual increase in workload over time seems to be as good a formula as any, with no complexity required.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby lockout » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Blah blah blah, just lift the fucking weight.
lockout
2nd Rate Lance Wannabe

Return to Training