Do you like volume?

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

Do you like volume?

Postby lockout » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Just asking folks.
I like low frequency.

I've also usually done more abbreviated 5x5 type routines. But in my last workout I tried adding in more assistance exercises.

I think what fits more depends on the situation. If you just don't want to do the extra work or don't have the energy to do more, it can still work just fine. But I also think if you have the energy and will to do more, it will prove to be better.

At least that seems to be what my experience has been over the years. I just think as I've gotten older, I've leaned more towards less volume. But sometimes if I can do more I will.
lockout
2nd Rate Lance Wannabe

Re: Do you like volume?

Postby stevein7 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:31 am

Choose a lift (or two) and pour volume into it, keep other stuff on a low flame? Re select when the going gets tough.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby PierreSuter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:03 pm

My best results came from volume training with lightish weights 60-70% of 1RM. Other times when I trained heavier, volume never seemed to help. Not sure why - maybe I didn't program it right or just wasn't in proper shape to recover from it. RIght now I'm back to doing decent volume with 60-70% max and a bit of heavy work sprinkled in.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby randygillett » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:11 am

I think this topic can be summed up by this little ditty.

Sometimes you feel like a nut
Sometimes you don’t
Peter Paul Almond Joy has nuts
Peter Paul Mounds don’t
"whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes extinct". ---- Michael Crichton
randygillett
3000 and no tag? PM Snadden for a tag

Postby Snake Plisken » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:19 am

What is the main goal?
I do think more "mass", is attained by more pumping ala BB'ers for the most part.
"Strength", on the other hand, can be gotten by very low volume.
What if doing the Hokey Pokey and then turning yourself around, is really what it's all about???
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby lockout » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Bump on an old thread.

But looking back on every way I've trained over the years, I did more medium volume in my 20's (3-5 top sets) and more HIT style (1-2 top sets) in my 30's.

The difference? Doing more heavy sets works best hands down for strength. But it will also give you aches and pains all over. HIT works pretty good, definitely not best, but minus the aches and pains.

So it depends on goals. If I were competing again, I would know more sets works the best, and heavier sets of 1-3 also. But as I've aged, I've leaned more towards a HIT style just to stay in shape, and it seems my back and joints have thanked me in return.

Clarence Bass is the one who got me interested in HIT. He's been lifting over 60 years. So I think he knows a thing or two about ways to train for longevity.
lockout
2nd Rate Lance Wannabe

Postby rage » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 am

Clarence Bass is the one who got me interested in HIT. He's been lifting over 60 years. So I think he knows a thing or two about ways to train for longevity.

He isn't dead yet?
rage
Ian called me a poser

Postby lockout » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:27 pm

rage wrote:

He isn't dead yet?

I'm pretty sure he's still ticking. His website is still up. And last time I checked, he still was answering emails.
lockout
2nd Rate Lance Wannabe

Return to Training