critique my winter routine

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

critique my winter routine

Postby stevein7 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:44 am

Buy in - 2km jog, incorporating an all out 400m sprint.

10 triples on a 3 mins timer

Buy out - same as buy in.

the triples
Day
1 - weighted dips
2 - squats
3 - ohp
4 - deadlift
5 - weighted chins
rinse and repeat, now and again taking a day off due to life getting in the way, but aiming for 6 days per week minimum.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Re: critique my winter routine

Postby FMJ » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:44 am

Looks great. Just don't go overboard with the weight of the triples. You could incorporate a day of bent over rows or so but meh, deadlifts and chins are certainly good enough.

Have fun!
"I hit you with your own pimp!"
FMJ
No one man should have all that chowder

Postby stevein7 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 am

Just wanted pure and simple.
Don't mind a bit of vigorous running in the cold, not so keen on long distance. I have a couple of dogs and they have to be outside daily. Two short runs does the job.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7

Postby stevein7 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:15 am

Very slight amendment
Day
1 - weighted chins
2 - squats
3 - ohp
4 - deadlift
5 - weighted dips

swapped round the chins and dips.
stevein7

Postby randygillett » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:00 am

Is that three minutes per set? Not counting warmups that’s thirty minutes per exercise for a total of two and a half hours done every day. In the interest of saving you from yourself, one minute per set would be better but would still allow enough weight to fuck yourself up badly so even better would be to use a weight that allowed ten triples within three minutes total. At your age and disposition that would be the healthy thing to do but I understand the need to beat yourself.
"whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes extinct". ---- Michael Crichton
randygillett
3000 and no tag? PM Snadden for a tag

Postby NoShow » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:32 am

randygillett wrote:Is that three minutes per set? Not counting warmups that’s thirty minutes per exercise for a total of two and a half hours done every day. In the interest of saving you from yourself, one minute per set would be better but would still allow enough weight to fuck yourself up badly so even better would be to use a weight that allowed ten triples within three minutes total. At your age and disposition that would be the healthy thing to do but I understand the need to beat yourself.

I believe he's only doing one exercise each day.
NoShow
Can see paradise by the dashboard ninjas

Postby randygillett » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:05 am

NoShow wrote:
I believe he's only doing one exercise each day.

Ah, I see that now. That being the case I’d go for one set per minute if he’s using the clock as a governor.
"whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes extinct". ---- Michael Crichton
randygillett
3000 and no tag? PM Snadden for a tag

Postby PierreSuter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:19 pm

I like the concept of the routine but personally would include some higher rep work to get the blood flowing, even if it's just part of your warm up. Low reps make me stronger but tend to break me down, while light higher rep stuff is restorative, so a balance is good imo.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby stevein7 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 am

yep, one exercise daily. Aiming to train every day, even if that is a big ask.
10 sets of three on a three mins timer same weight - it starts relatively doable and ends hard.
If I get everything, just add a little increment.

Sticking it out for now as long as it goes forward in the main.

Could easily throw some high rep band work into a warmup.
stevein7

Postby stevein7 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 am

Got faster, leaner. Starting to up my food and lift heavier.
stevein7

Postby FMJ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 am

Congratulations! Are you going to change the reps or are the triples still working for you?
"I hit you with your own pimp!"
FMJ
No one man should have all that chowder

Postby stevein7 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:56 am

Sticking with triples for winter. I think I should have been eating more from the outset on this winter phase, but I am now.
stevein7

Postby stevein7 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:17 am

Random thoughts

Old habits. Daily training let's you feel the good stuff every day. what is it all about? Feeling right.

Progression...minimal is what I aim for. If I get say, 6 triples and four doubles, I will aim at seven triples and three doubles next time. Snails pace but it is ...pace.

Also, to get a sense of progress I am going to have a power clean day. Never tried it in my life, but still sticking to the snail's pace, kicking off with ten doubles.

Its all about stress and recovery. Creatively pushing limits without breaking. I doubt I have any max single powerlifting pros in me. Those days are gone. But I can keep inventing new challenges. Ten triples is ok so far.
stevein7

Return to Training