standing press

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

standing press

Postby rage » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:32 pm

how much do you guys get your head out of the way for the standing press?
rage
Ian called me a poser

Re: standing press

Postby rage » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:42 pm

to expand on this, given the huge response....

I've had some neck problems of late. after some PT I've had some recent vertigo spells.

I noted when doing the standing press with a barbell that I tend to lay my head all the way back and look up to get the barbell path as straight as possible. I've stopped doing this and have more of an arc now - probably less efficient, and possibly necessary for me now.

it occurred to me that looking up may be a technical flaw and I might just be doing it wrong.
rage
Ian called me a poser

Postby FMJ » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:22 pm

I tuck my chin and that seems to be enough. If it gets really heavy I tend to lean back and look at the barbell which kinks up my mid back. Never had a neck problem from presses. I guess this depends on how high you can raise your chest? Kg sou See hunched over you really have to stretch your neck.
"I hit you with your own pimp!"
FMJ
No one man should have all that chowder

Postby Snake Plisken » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 am

Rage, good to see you are still plugging.
I do what you do more or less, looking up. (But I am probably a bad example of a good presser.) When I look up, it seems more like a Paul Anderson style, where I bend back some and make it a standing almost incline press.
I have also experimented with pushing the head thru keeping it down or straight like Gordo mentions, but my problem there is somewhat the "shoulder flexibility" issue.
What if doing the Hokey Pokey and then turning yourself around, is really what it's all about???
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby NoShow » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 am

I move my head\face and slightly lean back, but as the bar is passing, I move it all back forward. So I end up with the biceps by the ears position.

I did what you do, years (decade +) ago, when I messed up my shoulder, but could press in the manner you do.
NoShow
Can see paradise by the dashboard ninjas

Postby PierreSuter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:48 pm

My head is retracted back and chin tucked until the bar clears my head. The bar goes straight up. I wouldn't press in an arc around your head, that sounds really hard.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby ScottDeeby » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Have you ever video'd it? Maybe you picture it as being an arc but it's straighter than you think.
I am Jack's humility.
ScottDeeby
Stronger than Fred Hahn

Postby AP » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:06 pm

I angle up about 45 degrees. I recommend cycling in and out of a standing press to avoid neck issues. I've had them in the past and they are not as much of an issue with seated press and seated db press.
RAW Elite
Pastrami on Wry
AP
a secretive, cagey National Champion

Location: Self selecting bottom feeder and poor decision maker

Postby rage » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:42 am

thanks guys for the suggestions!

I put some incline press in for fun in the last week to supplement a bit. long time jeff!
rage
Ian called me a poser

Postby Spiller » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:01 pm

I get my head ALL of the way out of the way.

I retract my head/neck as far as possible and am able to push straight up from rack position. My head is tilted back a little but not much, maybe 20 degrees. Some bend in thoracic spine too, but not much.

Once bar is past nose, I push backwards and up on the bar and lean chest (NOT head) forward as my neck relaxes. My shoulder girdle is very flexible.

I had some neck stiffness for awhile and it really affected my bar path and limited the weight. I would say improving my bar path was worth at least a 10% bump in weight.
Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!
Spiller
numbers amongst the mighty

Postby rage » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Spiller -

Ever run into dizzyness issues after someone goes through therapy for neck trouble? I had about 3 weeks of vertigo recently. I would get it after the neck traction device every session with therapy.

It's mostly passed now. I wasn't certain that moving my neck back to clear the bar - and the full ROM wasn't irritating the problem further.
rage
Ian called me a poser

Postby Spiller » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:59 am

Yes, the vertigo is coming from your upper cervical spine and they should not have kept doing the traction. No permanent damage tho.

You need to find the repeated motion or sustained position that decreases your vertigo symptoms. When feeling vertigo, you should be able to do something that causes an immediate decrease in symptoms. There are multiple options, often some variation of cervical spine retraction.

So if you do a movement of you neck and do not develop vertigo (or do not increase any vertigo you start with), within 5 minutes, you're OK.
Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!
Spiller

Postby GTheo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:38 pm

This seems to not be the preferred method, but I start with my head back and bring it forward as the bar clears my chin beard. The bar is directly over my head at lockout.
"...and the way to lower a weight after you have cleaned it is to fucking lower it you pussy." -- MLL

"No matter which you choose, you won't be too far from being right." -- JChang
GTheo
No tagline means we HATE YOU GEORGE!

Postby rage » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:14 pm

I went about a 7-10 days without issue. Did 2 sets of 6 last night standing press. Last night and today mild vertigo is back.

I'll have to try and find what movement reduces it.

Good that you think there wouldn't be permanent damage from the traction.

Good news for me thus far is that I can row, pull down, chin up, incline press, flies, etc - no problems. (and improvements prior to me doing more standing press)

also will do some homework on cervical spine retraction. thanks!
rage
Ian called me a poser

Postby Spiller » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:33 pm

I would recommend Robin McKenzie's book, "Treat Your Own Neck".

You may be able to find bits and pieces of it online.

There is standing neck retraction and a lying down version if standing version makes you worse.
Spiller

Postby rage » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Ordered. Thanks!
rage
Ian called me a poser

Postby Spiller » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm

You're welcome. Just substitute 'vertigo' in for the word 'pain' in the book. PM with any questions.

Sometimes a small modification in exercise technique can make a BIG difference, so don't give up too quick.
Spiller

Postby stevein7 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:54 am

My birthday 5 Feb, 52. Fired me up to train more seriously, adding calories and dropping off the cardio till summer. ohp is something I have never pursued seriously, and am going to squeeze some kilos out of it.

Anyway, I think one key may be fractional plates? I got 8x0.25k plates second hand.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Return to Training