HIT disappeared into the dust!!

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

HIT disappeared into the dust!!

Postby lockout » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 am

I just wanted to mention this guy's. I noticed this recently. This is how I know I'm getting old. Ask any guy in his 20's who's into lifting, and they don't have a clue what it is. They might think you're talking about HIIT. But they have no idea what HIT is, anything about one set to failure, who was Mike Mentzer, or any of those guys. They probably have no clue who is Dorian Yates, Brooks Kubik, or the Dog Crap guy.

What can I say? I don't know it that's a good thing or bad. Barbells still exist and they still work. Anyone who wraps their hands around a barbell, picks it up in different ways, and keeps trying to get better at it by adding weight and trying harder, they will get big and strong and probably have a good body too as long as their diet is in check. That's one thing I can say for sure.

But I also know that HIT works. I liked the early explanation which was simply intense brief and infrequent workouts. Wasn't that what a lot of old timers did anyways? Peary Radar did 2-3 workouts a week, some very abbreviated and as little as one set per exercise. Even Reg Park although a high volume guy, he still did 3 workouts a week. Three workouts a week was very popular back in the day.

So yeah, HIT works, always has. A lot of the older guys I know who are 55+, they trained HIT style and their still lifting and ticking and still strong. Of the guys who insist on lifting 6 days a week, I wonder how many will last and how many will just give up and turn into fat slobs, because they won't know what else to do.

Some pro bodybuilders also did HIT back in the day, guys like Dorian Yates and the DC guy. I think the main difference with their styles is that they were more geared towards split routines for full coverage for contest as opposed to abbreviated routines.

Maybe I'm more biased. But I really don't care which style you like best, if it's volume or what ever. But the main point of my posts was to discuss the history and mention what I noticed. HIT truly has been lost in the dust. Probably along with many other methods and terminologies.

Maybe they have the same thing, but different names. Look at the crossfit folks. There's a lot of popularity in some old school stuff these days.

Either way. I guess Brooks Kubik would call us dinosaurs.

Peace folks!!!
lockout
2nd Rate Canadian Wannabe

Re: HIT disappeared into the dust!!

Postby Laconic Lifter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:42 am

I was thinking about this the other day...
To the millennials, Dr. Ken is like Sandow or Saxon.
Laconic Lifter
resents being compared to Canadians

Re: HIT disappeared into the dust!!

Postby GTheo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:33 am

Laconic Lifter wrote:I was thinking about this the other day...
To the millennials, Dr. Ken is like Sandow or Saxon.

And Viator is like Milo of Crotona.
"...and the way to lower a weight after you have cleaned it is to fucking lower it you pussy." -- MLL

"No matter which you choose, you won't be too far from being right." -- JChang
GTheo
No tagline means we HATE YOU GEORGE!

Return to Training