Jujimufu's Legendary Flexibility

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

Jujimufu's Legendary Flexibility

Postby PierreSuter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Don't know if anyone here is familiar with Jon Call aka Jujimufu, the guy who's built like a bodybuilder and can do chair splits with a loaded barbell over his head. He has a pretty entertaining youtube channel.

Anyhow, I bought his ebook Legendary Flexibility for $17 a few days ago and thought I'd give you all a quick summary. For all five of you who read this forum haha. It's about 240 pages with a lot of pictures, a few specific routines, and a good bit of humor mixed in with his philosophies and lessons learned about stretching.

Summary: to get really flexible there aren't really any shortcuts, you need to put a lot of time/work into stretching with occasional bouts of real effort and psych just like you would when lifting heavy. Patience and pain tolerance help. Don't sit or stand in one position too long throughout the day, get up and move periodically and take the opportunity to stretch when doing daily tasks like doing an ass to grass squat when picking something off the ground or stretch the pecs as you pass through a doorway. He emphasizes the importance of being strong throughout the whole range of motion that you develop, otherwise the extra flexibility can lead to injury. You do that by adding external resistance or contracting muscles while stretching. His overall favorite stretches are thoracic extension lying on a PVC pipe, cossack stretch which is like a sideways lunge, and warrior lunge which is a forward lunge with back knee on the ground. To get really amazing flexibility like him you need to make flexibility a lifestyle and pretty much stretch all damn day. The end.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Re: Jujimufu's Legendary Flexibility

Postby BLACKFLAG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:36 pm

and those forced rope stretches from Van Damme flicks.
BLACKFLAG
Giovanni! No pulla da penis!

Postby stevein7 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:35 am

why do you need that sort of flexibility? I mean, a bit of flexibility comes from lifting, do we need more?
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby PierreSuter » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:02 am

I'm just trying to get a little more flexible for low back and shoulder health and to combat the stiffness that comes with aging.

I suppose there's no reason to have "legendary" flexibility unless you're into martial arts or plan to join the circus. Or maybe make a viral video.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby randygillett » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 am

PierreSuter wrote: Don't sit or stand in one position too long throughout the day, get up and move periodically and take the opportunity to stretch

When I brush my teeth in the morning I stand with one foot on the ground and one foot on the sink, reversing half way through. I feel uncomfortable sitting in a recliner in the tradition position while watching television. Instead I sit with my legs draped over the armrests like I am giving birth. Also, I prefer to sit on the ground between the couch and the coffee table with my legs folded under me. That pretty much covers lower body flexibility.

I used to drive with my arm behind the passenger back rest because the stretch felt so good. One time I drove like that all the way across the United States (3000 miles) and developed a shoulder problem that I still have almost twenty years later. That reminds me of something else that is somewhat flexibility related. On one of my cross country trips I was driving through the Utah desert at the end of about a 1300 mile day and I was fading badly. I was try to make it to the next rest stop which were about 50 miles or so apart. I started a vicious cycle of falling asleep and snapping to. I tried to force myself to stay awake but every thought became a dream. Eventually I started to see what looked like fireworks in my head. Thankfully I arrived at a rest stop. I was so tired I hopped into the back of my truck which had a camper shell and a wooden platform that I used as a bed. Unfortunately, I was so out of it that I didn’t go in far enough so my lower legs were hanging over the edge while I was in the prone position. To make things worse I was wearing heavy boots. Anyway, I passed out immediately. I awoke about four hours later, my legs in a state of hyper-extension the entire time. Needless to say, jumping out of bed onto the ground was one of the most memorable moments of my life. It took a few minutes to teach myself to walk again.
"whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes extinct". ---- Michael Crichton
randygillett
3000 and no tag? PM Snadden for a tag

Postby PierreSuter » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Multi-tasking to stretch - I like it! Passing out in a crap position is never a good thing haha.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby Jughead » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Randy's driving story has a parallel in my life, only instead of stretching, I had a four hour phone call while I was recovering from the surgery. Because I was so tired in general, I did not notice that I had not moved my phone arm until near the end of the call. 10 years later my elbow still isn't quite right. It doesn't help that I use the touchpad instead of a mouse these days. Should probably start using it left handed.
Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words. -- St. Francis of Assisi
Jughead
almost as diesel as Chuck Norris

Postby viennesebeergardenlifter » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:16 am

...For all five of you who read this forum haha
May I join? I´m the sixth. one! :wink:
carnalkid wrote: have you ever heard of just fucking lifting weights?
viennesebeergardenlifter
almost as diesel as Chuck Norris

Postby PierreSuter » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:32 pm

viennesebeergardenlifter wrote:
...For all five of you who read this forum haha
May I join? I´m the sixth. one! :wink:

Most definitely. Just a few more to get back to double digits!

Not sure where all the weight lifting message board people went... Reddit, Youtube, Instagram?

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Return to Training