Lean body mass world record?

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

Lean body mass world record?

Postby PierreSuter » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Who do you guess would have the record for the highest lean body mass? Hafthor Bjornsson is around 400 pounds with abs, Kirill Sarychev about the same, Andre the Giant was listed at 520 pounds, and there have been a few sumo wrestlers in the 600-700 pound range.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Re: Lean body mass world record?

Postby stevein7 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:56 am

Some of those world fattest men? Maybe they have very little, I do not know. I was thinking power of food and also moving that body weight to the extent that they move.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby PierreSuter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Most of those 800+ fatties I see on TV are bedridden so I figured they were almost entirely fat. Could be wrong.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby FMJ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 pm

My best guess would be one of the top strongman (Shaw, Hafthor, etc) or perhaps one really tall pro Bodybuilder (Aaron Reed maybe?).

The sumo guys have a shitload of lean mass but the largest seem to be mostly fat at some point. The "medium" sized guys (150-180kg) look like the guys with the most muscle mass and still don't seem to carry quite as much muscle as the biggest strongman.

On the other hand, Robert Wadlow weighed in at ~200-229kg at close to 9 feet tall and he did not carry much fat. He is certainly a contender.

Edit: I forgot about that giant scottish-canadian fellow Angus MacAskill, who was 7 feet 9 Inches and around 190kg. If half the stories are true he must have been tremendously muscular.
"I hit you with your own pimp!"
FMJ
No one man should have all that chowder

Postby PierreSuter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Good call on the true giants. In photos, Waldlow and MacAskill looked relatively trim at over 400 pounds.

Another candidate would be Mills Darden. At 7' 6" and reported to be 450-500kg, he worked all day on a farm which would have required a huge amount of muscle at that bodyweight.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby FMJ » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:10 am

I always wondered how Mills Darden could have possibly weighed that much. Of course, much of it might have been and probably is fabrication but I like to give the benefit of the doubt.

How can a relatively active person in those times gain so much weight? How did he afford the food? Hard to imagine. But they could feed cattle and horses to grow to that size. Maybe it just takes time and a small surplus in combination with a body that does not shut digestion and activity down at some point.

I remember a radio documentary about a late medieval german giant (something like 7'4' and 350lbs) who was well documented by the local monks and apparently his parents simply feed him the same amount they would feed a horse. The quote was something like "You work like a man, you eat like a man. You work like two, you eat like two. He works like a horse, so that is what we give him." Apparently he could uproot tree saplings and things like that.
FMJ

Postby Chris McCarthy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:17 am

Yeah, my guess would be someone like Wadlow - he got up to 500lbs at one point in his short life, as per Guinness. Now, as to how much of that was actual muscle on the other hand...Now as to actual tall and heavy men then maybe someone like Martin Ruane, Akebono or Manny Yarborough.

My best guess is the stories about Darden (and MacAskill) are just that - stories - and I don't think a confirmed photo of either exists (one photo that was said to have shown MacAskill has also been identified as another Giant)...as to how Darden could have possibly weighed that much then once you get to a certain size it's all about water retention.

Now as to actual tall and heavy men then maybe someone like Martin Ruane (English Wrestler who had a VERY short stint in the WWF IIRC), Akebono or Manny Yarborough.
Chris McCarthy
This is a meaningless custom tag

Postby PierreSuter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Interesting that you'd put big sumo wrestlers ahead of top strongman in terms of lean mass. In the upper body I'd guess strongmen carry more muscle, but in the lower body probably sumo so you could be right.

Putting those with tumors on their pituitary gland into a separate category does make sense... Shaw and Thor look ridiculously huge in person even though they're only 9-10 inches taller than me, while Wadlow was over two feet taller than them which sort of puts him on another level. He was nearly a foot taller than standard home ceilings here in the US - that's big!

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby Chris McCarthy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:02 am

There's a pic out there of Bjornsson (who is not as thick as he is now, but still...) stood next to a former Basketball Player who is about 7'8" (I want to say it's Sun Ming, but can't recall his name) and whilst it's obvious Thor is chunkier the sheer size difference is quite noticeable.

It would be interesting to see a pic of Shaw / Bjornsson next to Igor Vovchinsky or Hassan Bidouane (spelling), two 7'8" Giants who are both on the portly side.
Chris McCarthy

Postby stevein7 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:56 pm

There is a programme called my 600lb life.

Some are fairly young and still mobile. Right now there is a man at 654lb who regularly sits and stands. This is like a huge squat over and over. Must have some muscle surely.

Interesting though, lots of massive heavy efforts with no warm up etc.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby Chris McCarthy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:55 am

Yeah, Yarborough was North of 700 at some points and will still competing in MMA IIRC.

As to actual lifters I once kept a record of who had weighed in the heaviest in PL / WL and I think the confirmed heaviest was Jeff Lewis at around 250kg / 550lbs...I can recall finding a result sheet listing someone at 600lbs but I'm fairly sure this was what he actually squatted.
Chris McCarthy

Postby FMJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:38 am

Another fun candidate would be Calvin Lane at 7'6'' and 445lbs who is one of the few true giants who actually lifts weights.
FMJ

Postby Chris McCarthy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:55 pm

FMJ wrote:Another fun candidate would be Calvin Lane at 7'6'' and 445lbs who is one of the few true giants who actually lifts weights.

I can't vouch for whether it is true but he apparently has 2 brothers who are the same size... :)
Chris McCarthy

Postby Chris McCarthy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Chris McCarthy

Postby FMJ » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:24 am

It sure is. For those who did not read it, it is a research paper
about Ray Williams body composition. ~25 % bodyfat at 400lbs so about 300lbs of lean body mass at just above 6 feet.

Someone on reddit pointed out that his relative amount of
muscle compared to his total lean mass (muscle+organs+bone)
is actually rather low (~58kg muscle, 80kg~bones and organs). He is literally big boned (and ...organed?).
I wonder how much his bones and organs grew while he gained mass or if he was literally incapable of being healthy and much less than 250lbs.

Also, the next highest recorded lean body mass was that of a sumo wrestler at ~120kg or 265lbs.
I was more surprised that professional linemen had "only" around 100kg or 220lbs of lean mass compared to big ray. Some of then are tall and comparatively lean guys, especially compared to Williams.
FMJ

Postby Chris McCarthy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:37 am

It does make you wonder who the others they tested were...

If I remember I'll do some research on how big Williams was at earlier stages of his life - I remember seeing one pic of him as a young adult where he does not look particularly large framed.
Chris McCarthy

Postby PierreSuter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:25 am

His BF% and lean mass results seem reasonable, but I have a hard time accepting that split of muscle vs. bones/organs/other. Unless he ate a small cow and half keg of beer before the experiment.

Would like to see the same study done on Hafthor. He's heavier and looks a lot leaner than Ray.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby Chris McCarthy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:26 am

I thought that too...I suppose a lot would depend on what they categorise as muscle?
Chris McCarthy

Return to Training