high reps

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

high reps

Postby stevein7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:51 am

are a waste of time.
I have come to that conclusion but it is not at all certain in my mind and it could be the case there is a place for the high reps, but you have to pick a path and I have abandoned the high reps.

What do I mean - well anything over triples is going to be performed less frequently and anything over 8 - just about never.

I think we can get to whatever place our genetics allow by low rep heavy lifting, for me it is much more pleasant. I do some cardio after lifting mostly if that is an issue.

It seems ideologically difficult to make these choices in todays post modern everything is good, special snowflake imdividual choice environment, but for good or bad, I say I cannot be bothered to do the high rep stuff when I can get more benefits from low reps.

Maybe the roiders need to worry more about their connective tissues et al. but I do no foam rolling, next to no stretching and I cannot see that I am missing out by concentrating exclusively on mostly low, some medium reps on heavy compound moves.

Ok, have at it.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Re: high reps

Postby BLACKFLAG » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Except I found it not being true.

High reps (and I mean 8-30 range) are actually easier to recover from, even when done with medium-heavy weights.
Lower reps tend to fuck up other structures than target muscles alone, which in my own case usually hinder my ability to perform decently for more days than high-reppers.
BLACKFLAG
Giovanni! No pulla da penis!

Postby PierreSuter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:29 pm

I enjoy lower reps and get more strength from them, but they tend to break down my connective tissues. High reps are restorative, so I use them to balance things out. As I get older, by necessity the balance has shifted more towards higher reps. If you hold up well to exclusively low reps, good on you.

I've also noticed that the best physiques are built using the concept of performing more work in less time. Think bodybuilders and crossfitters. Sitting around resting for 95% of the workout as typically done when doing singles or triples strikes me as a waste of time and lazy, on top of not doing a whole lot for your appearance.
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby randygillett » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:47 pm

Low reps are fantastic as long as I do them with a weight I can do ten to twenty times. Heavy, low reps put the kibosh on my gains about as quickly as all-out high rep sets.
"whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes extinct". ---- Michael Crichton
randygillett
3000 and no tag? PM Snadden for a tag

Postby stevein7 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:51 am

I think Randy is saying low reps high sets is a good path. Anyway, I subscribe to that. Low reps are not necessarily all out max effort affairs. I do like to work up to a heavy single most days as part of a warm up routine, generally lowering the weight then to knock out some reps.

Just to contradict myself, I do like to do high reps right at the beginning to warm up. I also have a thing for hi rep face pulls near the beginning of a session.

But the real meat and potatoes are plenty of sets with low to moderate reps.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Return to Training