Nifty little trick for dumbbells

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

Nifty little trick for dumbbells

Postby FMJ » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:01 pm

This might be something incredibly well known that somehow never got to me but on the off chance that it is not:

I like dumbbells but I barely ever had the chance to use them. Either the gym did not have any in the appropriate size or if they are loadable the plates come undone if I do anything dynamic and/or for many reps.

But I always liked those old timey stories of huge dumbbell presses or cleans or swings and I kept wondering where the hell they all got those 200lbs+ monsters. Were they all custom made?

A couple days ago I stumble about a comment on how to tighten spin collars that links to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfBgoRdc2Co

Look at ~1:06. The guy twists the plates after the collar is already tightened. This looks like a tiny extra to the already tight collar. But damn, does it work.

I just spent ~20 min doing cleans and presses with ~50kg (~110lbs) on my loadable dumbbell at home. Did not become loose in the slightest. Matter of fact, right know I cannot get the plates of off one side with just my hands.

Just wanted to let you guys know.
"I hit you with your own pimp!"
FMJ
No one man should have all that chowder

Re: Nifty little trick for dumbbells

Postby PierreSuter » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:16 am

Good trick. Also works well to tighten pro style DBs (ie bolt end instead of collar).
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Re: Nifty little trick for dumbbells

Postby brooklynjerry » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks for the tip FMJ,I use that type dumbbell myself and soil give that a try.
brooklynjerry
Probationary Bootlicker

Return to Training