The Return of Deadlifting Volume

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

The Return of Deadlifting Volume

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:03 am

As from my training log, I'm about 2 weeks into a sheer volume phase for my deadlifting.
After aeons of injuries, illnesses and overall staleness, out of the blue found myself able to do impromtu sets of 8-12 with 180-190kg, so to hell with it!!!
Shooting for at least 200 total weekly reps in the 180-200 range for the next 2-3 microcycles.
First results coming already, yesterday banged out 190x20 continous reps (no rest pause). 200x20 coming soon.

On a side note, started using a belt a month or so ago and it seems to minimize warmup times and keep my psoas somewhat healthier.
BLACKFLAG
Giovanni! No pulla da penis!

Re: The Return of Deadlifting Volume

Postby stevein7 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Wonder if the Russian bear routine is of interest.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:37 pm

this is the Cisalpin Wehrwolf one.
BLACKFLAG

Postby Chris McCarthy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Great Job!
Chris McCarthy
This is a meaningless custom tag

Postby PierreSuter » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:20 am

Congrats! 200 x 20 would be bad ass!
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby BLACKFLAG » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:32 am

thanx guys! Just give me 2-3 weeks injury/sickness free Pierre !!!
BLACKFLAG

Postby Snake Plisken » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:23 am

Been subbed BF
And great to see you pulling volume again
What if doing the Hokey Pokey and then turning yourself around, is really what it's all about???
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby BLACKFLAG » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:36 am

you know Phil, when you have barely an hour to train at 9-10 PM, you better do something you enjoy.
Also, the stars are alligned and I can pull all those reps with little to no warmup...even though I'm pretty sure will find a way to fuck everything up before reaping any real benefit!!!
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Last week totaled 199 reps in the 180-190kg range, this one hit 225 reps, all of them in sets of 8-15, no warmup. Best training in ages.
BLACKFLAG

Postby stevein7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:11 am

Don't know if the training of Eric Bugenhagen interests you.
He likes to pick a couple of lifts and train them daily until he plateaus, then picks another couple of lifts.
A GOMAD advocate.

He says "The fitness community has made it gospel that deadlifting everyday will buy you a one-way ticket to snap city. While that may be true for some, it is not the case for everyone. I’ve gone through months of solely deadlifting everyday. I did not overtrain. I did not snap my shit up. I made hella gainz with the lifts and then simply plateaued. Nothing more, nothing less. I’ve also worked with a ton of athletes and incorporated some sort of deadlift variation in each day of their training. None of them snapped their shit up and just about all of them made tremendous gains in strength and muscle mass. It’s not the heavy pulls that hurt people…it’s the mobility imbalances and deficiencies…the weak cores…the lack of control with creating intra abdominal pressure…the horrendous form. Fix these issues and then try deadlifting everyday. I absolutely guarantee you’ll be amazed with the strength and size gains. It’s not rocket science! Lift heavy shit. When you hit a wall, find a way to continue to lift even heavier shit! Partials, reverse bands, heavy negatives, partner assisted reps…whatever it may be. Don’t tell me that progressively lifting heavier everyday isn’t the easiest and most effective way to get bigger and stronger! That’s what so dumb about the majority of programs. How the fuck is hitting a thousand different exercises with half-assed intensity going to get you bigger or stronger. Think logically and stop living in a fantasy world. Your 3 sets of lat pulldowns will not get you that Dorian Yate’s barn door back. Your 3 sets of dumbbell surgs will not get you those Johnnie Jackson mountain tarps. You know what will? Heavy-as-fuck rack pulls…800, 900, 1,000 lbs. Start with an inch of ROM…work your way down the power rack. “THAT’S STUPID! EVERYTHING I DO MUST BE FULL RANGE OF MOTION!”…Why?! Why the fuck is that necessary? So you can post it on instagram and not have the 14 year old novice lifters heckle you? Get the fuck out of that weak mind set. Lift with balls! And for fuck’s sake…stop trying to become strong with a million different exercises at once! That is, of course, unless you are indeed happy hitting 5 lb PRs every 3 months. Focus on 1, 2, or 3 movements at the very most. I guarantee your training will be much more fun and focused. When it stops being fun, ditch the movement and find a new one. Keep it simple. Keep it interesting."
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7

Postby Snake Plisken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am

BLACKFLAG wrote: Best training in ages.

Nice to be clicking on all 8, or 12 if you are a Ferrari...! :wink:
What if doing the Hokey Pokey and then turning yourself around, is really what it's all about???
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby BLACKFLAG » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:27 pm

as you may know from the log section, had to stop midway of week 5 due to low back cramps/soreness not going away.
3 days off from DLs (lots of feeder work instead-hi rep band GMs mostly), and today came back to finally hit 200x20 (maybe 21), belted up but no straps.
That was after heavy rows and no specific ramp up sets.
Been a goal of mine for maybe 2 years, so I'm pretty pleased with that.

In work we trust.
BLACKFLAG

Postby Snake Plisken » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Great work BF and a nice goal to hit, for sure...!
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby PierreSuter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Great job man! Should have videod that one. Touch and go or dead stopped? Not even sure which is easier for that many reps, just curious.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby BLACKFLAG » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:04 am

thanx guys!!!

Some were deadstopped, others "softly" t&goed. Had to reset just once, before the last 3 reps (which were fully deadstopped), because the right end of the barbell hit the walls.
One thing which happens skipping warmups is that you end up pulling in a VERY deliberate manner, both right off the floor and on the descent, more or less consciously, to reduce the risk of injuries.
I actually worked on a technique to get the feel of the bar/pulling the slack out while bracing, which involves actually braking the plates off the floor just setting up, at least with these submax weights.

Will try repping 210 in a few days may get a vid !!!
BLACKFLAG

Postby Chris McCarthy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:51 am

Very nice indeed!
Chris McCarthy
This is a meaningless custom tag

Postby FMJ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:09 am

Congratulations. That is some insane work volume and strength endurance. You are the doing some barbarian-level training. And please, finally get a video of your work. The warmup circuits are by themselves insane.

You know what, I'll race you. I have not done high-rep deadlifts in a while. I'll try and hit 200kg for some tonight and then see if I can hit 230kgx20 before you.
"I hit you with your own pimp!"
FMJ
No one man should have all that chowder

Postby BLACKFLAG » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:53 am

thanx man, much appreciated.
230x20 would be top level, honestly I'm shooting for 220x10 as a medium term goal. You definately have the potential to hit that.
Starting tomorrow with another mini-cycle (with some adjustements) after 2 days off (happens once per year) !!!
Will record something of my training during these days of vacation. Bought a camera last year and prolly used it a couple times.
BLACKFLAG

Postby NeilX » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 pm

I haven't logged in for 10 years and I see things have never changed BLACKFLAG ;) I love it.
NeilX
Pussy Poster

Postby BLACKFLAG » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:50 pm

haha yep, you and your Today is the Day profile pic.
Thanx man, progress is slow bu I don't quit. Definately way better now than 10 years ago.
BLACKFLAG

Postby FMJ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:21 am

Just to keep you updated, I hit 210kg x 15 a couple days ago and will probably go for 215-220kg x ~15-17 in two days. I do them beltless and strapless but so far I don't do dead-stop reps. Instead I just let the bar down to a couple inches above the floor. This is probably easier but I think I will stick with it for my first crack at 230kgx20. I think the best I ever did was 230kgx15 touch-and-go. 500lb x 20 would be quite the milestone.
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 am

These are beastly numbers man, honestly out of my reach right now.
I lose some feeling with the bar with straps, so I use them when hands start hurting too much or the likes.
I'm wearing a belt instead-started using it a 2-3 months ago after a period spent practicing some bracing drills (with a band wrapped around the trunk), frustrated as hell from my chronic psoas/diaphragm issues...it's helping BIG TIME.
Right now my midsection feels great, the warmup time is reduced to almost zero, and I'm free to hammer the prime movers with tons of volume.

Speaking of which, after the little 2-day break, started another volume phase aimed at surpassing my recent weekly best of 225 total pulls at 180kg or above (which gave me the 200x20). Did 160 reps in 4 days so far, with a set of 210x5 thrown in to get the feel.
BLACKFLAG

Postby Snake Plisken » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:27 am

The Flag is right Gordo, those are some beastly pulling numbers for reps. Has to be an absolute record for this site I might guess!?
If you guys are gonna continue the battle, you need to give BF a variance for his BW. I think he might still be under #200 pounds and killing it with his high hip slaughter...!
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby FMJ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Oh, if we go by bodyweight and/or handsomeness the notorious Blackflag wins by a mile.

If we want to make it an real race I think 220kgx10 for him and 230kgx20 for me seems fair. This is obviously still almost triple bodyweight for him and not even double for me but I will probably die of an heart attack at the end of the set and he will do another 500 chins before and after.

What do you think, Blackflag?
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Nah, let's take it for what it is, just a stimulus for both to stay focused and avoid fucking around!!! It's a win-win regardless of stuff like bw etc etc
No need for extra rules: DO WHAT THOU WILT SHALL BE THE WHOLE OF THE LAW
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:46 am

little update: finished the 7-days microcycle with a total of 253 reps at 180 or above (mostly 180-190), last couple days felt definately weaker but didn't overdo it (250 total was the goal).

Now 2 light days then a mini-test with 210kg planned for saturday.
Then I'll be back to work sadly, hence my approach will change a little: some drop in weekly volume for straight DLs (shooting for 150-200 reps) but will introduce specific assistance stuff to make up for it.
BLACKFLAG

Postby Henry_Adolfo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:24 pm

Hey Blackflag...like what percentage of your 1RM is 180kg?
"Thick ice does not come from one day's cold."
Henry_Adolfo
2000+ posts, were any funny?

Postby BLACKFLAG » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:59 am

who knows Henry? Haven't goin heavy in aeons.
Also, always been a bit odd in regards of that. One day may hit 180x20+ with no warmup, add 20kg and get stuck.
BLACKFLAG

Postby Henry_Adolfo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:34 pm

That happens a lot with overhead pressing too...I think it's because the DL and OHP are dead-stop lifts, you never quite get the feel of the weight before commencing the actual lift.
"Thick ice does not come from one day's cold."
Henry_Adolfo
2000+ posts, were any funny?

Postby BLACKFLAG » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:36 pm

yep, plus the fact the DLs involve so many muscle groups it's easy to find some un-recovered weak link among them. And you got pinned.

BTW yesterday grinded 210x7 deadstop style...was happy with the form but sloooow as fuck.
Best with the same weight is 10 reps from a few years ago, which I remember coming out of the blue though, not from a specific training cycle.
Testing it again in 3 weeks.
BLACKFLAG

Postby FMJ » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 am

Update: Did 220kgx15 a couple days ago. But I think I am hitting the wall already. I will take a couple light days and probably start over at 200kg with more reps and volume.
FMJ

Postby Snake Plisken » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:11 am

FMJ wrote:Update: Did 220kgx15 a couple days ago. But I think I am hitting the wall already. I will take a couple light days and probably start over at 200kg with more reps and volume.

I dunno, but I'll just throw this out...
When I did my 226kgs x10 I first did, I believe a few very heavy negs. (maybe #50 or so kgs heavier. Then, when I grabbed the 226, it felt quite light.
Not sure if I would have been able to knock out 10 without that mental boost) Voodoo..!

Okay, I found it in my log back in 2014, didn't know it was that long ago...

Negs only down to floor #405x1 (3 sec descent)
#495x1 (...)
#545x1 ...
#625x1 ...
#685x1 (3 sec descent)
//////////
Floor pulls #500x10 T&G and straps...

So about #185 pounds over #500 on a negative.
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Phil, I managed to somewhat include a variation of your negatives in the new cycle (starting tonight).
These will be a part of a "overload night" done mid-week. Check my log later for the full program (kind of).
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 am

From my log:

-Sun 9/24
Grand finale!!! Knew monday would have been a completely fucked up day (planned meeting out of town AFTER work i.e. back home at midnight), hence needed to finish the volume microcycle with a bang.

psoas stretches+ab wheel
bunch

2"chinsx20
2"pullupsx20
hang leg raisesx10
band GMs up to 3bandsx10-20
GHR situps 10kgBTNx20
and of course Deads:
180x20,18,12,15
-------------------
Grand total of the week being a remarkable 275 deads @180kg done with no ramping. Pure alchemy.

Celebrated with some extra upper body work
Giant sets:
45 deg db curls
2"ultranarrow chins
banded pressdowns
3 rounds, high reps

Giant sets #2:
2"fat bar curls 3 setsx50-70
2"double overhand pullups 3x20
reg bar bench 100kgx3 setsx30-40

As mentioned forced to skip training yesterday (plus some food bug as well...damn catering).
A lightish one tonite then tasting some moderately heavier pulling tomorrow.
All in all, I'm very pleased with the results of the past 4 months.
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Last microcycle hit 201 reps at 190, started yesterday another one aimed at completing 150 reps with 200 in 7 days again.
The 200x200 Winter Campaign is officially on.
BLACKFLAG

Postby FMJ » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:15 am

You know, right now I cannot train at all but I have not forgotten about the damn challenge.

You do your 10.0000 rep warmup circuits and I'll do the rest-bulk-protocol and we'll see who gets stronger!

....it's probably you...
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:42 pm

hopefully both of us man!!!

Last week was very busy for me, only managed 101 reps with 200kg total (plus backoff work).
Now I'm in the midst of 3-4 lighter hypertrophy days then next week will be full force (vacation): shooting for 150 reps at 200kg and 300 in the 180+ range.

Then a couple weeks aimed at increasing speed and hopefully will be good for some testing. That's the plan.
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:00 pm

3rd volume day in a row yesterday and hit 3x20@180kg, belted and mostly soft/controlled t&go, but still the first time managing anything close.
Finished with a dropset of 200x8+180x8 after bench work.
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Ain't over yet.
Running 5th week into a cycle based on rep work on both rack work (snatch grip only) and high deficits.

Some of my best pulling yesterday: after 2h of pullups/chins, ab work, 1 arm rows and surgs, banged out a smooth set of 210kgx13 reps w/belt no straps. Most of them done in soft/controlled t&go fashion, last 2 were paused though.

May be able to finally surpass my old 220x5 within the end of the year if I manage to avoid fuckin myself up.
BLACKFLAG

Postby FMJ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:11 pm

How is it possible to hit 210kgx13 and not be able to do 220kgx5? Are you really just that good at reps?

Seriously, I would just put on another 10kg and do half the damn reps I already did. That would seem like a sure thing to me.
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:34 pm

Man, the 220x5 is from 2010 I think, even though I've been able to replicate it a couple times since then.
The huge gains in repping ability occurred in the last 6 months definately lay the foundation for bigger numbers to come.
BLACKFLAG

Postby rage » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am

good to see you plugging away BF!
rage
Ian called me a poser

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:43 pm

whoa! Talk about the comeback of a few veterans lately!!!
Nice to see you posting again man!!!

And yes, my war ain't over yet. Still rages on ;)
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:52 pm

220x7 yesterday, after a 12h long working day, and the day after hitting heavy rows/rack pulls work on sunday.
BLACKFLAG

Postby Snake Plisken » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 am

BLACKFLAG wrote:220x7 yesterday, after a 12h long working day, and the day after hitting heavy rows/rack pulls work on sunday.

Beastly, is all...!
You're knocking on #226x10, which is a great milestone. Especially your weight class.
Happy holidays my friend!
Snake Plisken
I heard you were dead.

Postby BLACKFLAG » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:28 pm

thanx a lot Phil!!! Past 6 months have been extremely busy but kickstarted some progress into new territory after YEARS.
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:23 pm

-wed 12/27
Late but productive session, no doubt about it.

Skipped most of my usual warmups, except
2"ultranarrowchins 1x40-50ish
hang leg raises 1x20ish
2"wide pullups 1x40-50ish
hang leg raises 1x20ish

then ULTRA high rep 1 arm db rows aka Kroc Cardio
each arm
62x6 sets of 40-50 almost nonstop

band GMs
up to 4 bands

15 cm deficit deads
regular mixed grip, belt
100x2
160x1
180x10 PR!

Finished with some light upper body work (including a couple sets of bench w/100kg), and ultra high rep situps as well.

EDIT-whoops wrong 3d. Deads are on a roll anyway...10 reps off 15cm deficit ain't no shit.
BLACKFLAG

Postby FMJ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:50 pm

So, I am back in the race. I was out for a while due to academic stuff and being sick and holidays. The usual.

I did 185kgx20 in my usual not-quite-touch&go style today but with straps. Will try to do 190-195kgx20-22 in a week.
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:50 pm

...then allow me to push you a bit buddy!!!
Currently on a mini-deload phase to get rid of stiffness/cramps (limiting DLs to 15 cm deficit double overhand snatch grip SLDLs w100/140kgx10-20x3-4 sets daily), hopefully going for 220-230kgxmax next weekend!!!
BLACKFLAG

Postby FMJ » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Just to keep this going:

I essentially pussed out on doing a high rep set of deadlifts but I did get some volume in:

200kg x 40 reps in ~20 minutes.

Once I find my balls I will get back to you.

On the fun side I did do bent arm barbell pullovers which I think no one has done in ~40 years or so and got up to 100kg. Interesting movement.
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:25 am

yep, one step back and 2 forward hopefully: yesterday night cardio deadlift hitting for the first time 4 sets of 20 with 180kg !!! Some of them deadstopped, most of them controlledly t&goed, others not fully locked out, but still...if it's good for Doug Miller it's good for me as well.

Psoas and diaphragm weren't too happy afterwards, took almost as much to get back to normal mobility.
BLACKFLAG

Postby FMJ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:09 am

....damn....

How long did that take you? Are you winded after those sets? Do you have crazy cardio abilities from lifting?

What do I have to do to tolerate that kind of workload? I think I never did more than 180kg for six sets of ten and that left me sore for a week.
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:56 pm

for me, it's not as much of a problem cardio nor recovery-wise (I've found I can recover way better with higher rep counts), but a challenging set tends to fuck up my midsection BADLY, i.e. psoas and diaphragm.

In this case it took me about 30 mins or so to get prepared for the actual work, with the opening circuit (pullups/abs-based), psoas wall stretches and band GMs up to 4 bands -pretty intense-, around the same to get the 4 sets done, and finally 15-20 mins spent trying to loosen up enuff to being able to STAND UP.

Yet the thay after hit light 15 cm snatch grip deficits for sets of 20, and yesterday (sunday) managed a PR in the chain DL variation (180kg+40 chainsx12 surprisingly strong and fast).
BLACKFLAG

Postby FMJ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:37 pm

I have no idea how you are a human being. That is some fantasy barbarian level shit.

...not the stretching-to-function-again-part , obviously. That is reality trying to pull you back in.

So, more timed volume. 210kg x 46 reps in 20 minutes, done in sets of five plus a single. Much better this time. Even did some assistance work afterwards.
Soon my posterior chain will have accepted volume as its new master and I can try some big sets.
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:35 pm

nothing over the top in regards of sheer volume, yet a remarkable late night session yesterday:

Full body warmup circuit:
2"ultranarrow chinsx20
2"wide pullupsx20
hang leg raisesx10-15
banded pressdownsx2
ab wheelx20ish
wtd situpsx20
--------
3 rounds

1 arm rows
straps
each arm 72kgx4 sets of 30 or more

band GMs 2x20

15 cm deficit DLs-bar hitting feet
belt
snatch grip DOH
100x10
160x1
regular mixed grip
180x8
200x3 PR
removed the deficit, no rest
180x20

Took 10 mins to straighten up the torso again, then
Light bench w/110kg

All time PR by 1 rep from this insane deficit. Prolly good for 230ishx5 on regular ROM if planets realign correctly.
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:10 pm

Shit is getting real: pretty much casually hit a late night friday PR after a long week of work and little sleep.
Chains, this time: 5 solid reps with 200kg bar weight plus 40kg of chains basically fully off the floor at the top.
Even at my DL-only specialization peak back in 2010 I never topped 3 reps with the same setup, which equalled my best straight weight triple.

GAINS INSANE/AWESOME BY 40.
BLACKFLAG

Postby FMJ » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:14 am

Congratulations! Maybe you should go for 300kg after you hit your rep goals. Doesn't seem to be that far off.
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:34 am

thanx man...haha that's way out of my reach right now, but I appreciate the motivational words. Let's finally hit the 6 wheels first.
BLACKFLAG

Postby FMJ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:29 pm

So, did 220kg x 50 reps in 20 minutes today. Did the first 40 in 12 minutes and started with sets of 8,9 and 8 before I went down in reps per set.

This style of training has been quite fun. I don't get too anxious because there is no set to failure but I work hard and get some decent volume.
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Needed a good set to save an otherwise shitty day, and chains were still draped to the bar: yesterday night over 15 reps (lost count) with 180+40kg after benching.
Rear delt/lats (prolly pecs too) been constantly achin in the last week or so, time to back off all the lat/row work.
BLACKFLAG

Postby stevein7 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:34 am

have just read

"single arm rows with 200 lbs for, GET THIS . . . 60 REPS!"

http://ditillo2.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/ ... -1981.html

and thought, mmm blackflag...
stevein7

Postby FMJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:22 pm

The Volume Wars continue!

Hit 200kg x 20 in my no-touch & go style. Still pretty proud of that even though it is not really a deadlift.

Onward to 230kg x 20 !
FMJ

Postby BLACKFLAG » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:29 pm

well done man.
Currently I'm struggling a bit with 50+h working weeks, days spent out of town, and my chronic psoas issues magically shifting from side to side over time.
Still, in the bast few months I've been able to hit rep PRs in all the variations I use.

Started hitting more and more snatch grip deads lately, which happen to be both a great drill and actual muscle builders while using less load on the bar, which is a plus given the wear and tear.

Will prolly work up to some decent weekly volume towards the end of april during a week of vacation.
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Sun May 13, 2018 10:46 am

Been a rough couple months but in the past few weeks may have been able to build up some momentum again.
Yesterday night pulled from below knees 230kgx30 (rep more or less...) which is kind of a +10 rep PR from that height.
BLACKFLAG

Postby PierreSuter » Mon May 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Nice work!

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby FMJ » Tue May 15, 2018 9:41 am

Great! You could go for 500lbs x 50. I know you love those ridiculous high rep sets and I doubt anyone else has ever done that.
FMJ

Postby stevein7 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 am

You hear about Kaz saying Platz used fake weights on his 500x23?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJl8MWSGulE

Here you go BF....http://www.fakeweights.com/

Just joking pal!
stevein7

Postby PierreSuter » Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am

Wow, didn't expect that from Kaz! I always figured it was legit since a few guys on this board have done 405x20 without even training for high reps.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby BLACKFLAG » Sat May 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanx guys. I just find heavy hi rep stuff easier to recover from than any shitload of 2-3s...also much easier to pack on some work when you have literally minutes to put up a DL session.

Had a difficult week spent out of town traveling back home by train to get some late night training done, eating/sleeping very little, but somehow managed a handful of nice DL sets.
Refeed has been done, now mandatory 12h sleep then hopefully tomorrow going for 240x20 from below knees.
BLACKFLAG

Postby BLACKFLAG » Mon May 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Stopped at about 13-15ish yesterday with both hip flexors and mind going numb.
Still, wasn't remotely able to do that even at the peak of my DL specialization back in 2010-2011.
Numbers I'm going for before the end of the summer:
Rack pulls from below knees: 250-260x10-15
15 cm deficit DLs: 180x15
Snatch grip DLs: 200x10
Regular DLs: 220x10
Seems doable.
BLACKFLAG

Return to Training