One meal a day

Look, I'm not going to lie. There's a guy in here, "Lockout", that makes this one of the least productive and most boring places to talk training on the internet, and no one can be bothered to ban him. Buyer beware. Arguments about minutiae. Ad hominems. Appeals to authority. Training #1.

Moderators: John Henry Brown, duane hansen

One meal a day

Postby stevein7 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 am

Been doing this for three weeks and I think it worth a comment.
The version I do is one meal a day (OMAD) most days, with the polar opposite (eat all day, whatever you fancy) on a few days.
You have to tune it to your needs. If you are fairly lean, you might only do OMAD three times per week.
If you are fat, well, 6 times per week.

An OMAD meal for me will have at least 100g protein ao I rely on powders for a lot of that, and a blended drink to get in a load of greens. The rest fits on one plate and typically it is around 2000 calories for the lot. You dont really measure much, just eat until reasonably full. In time you get a feel for it. Trying to stuff in millions of calories in one meal is a disaster, you will feel awful. During the fasting period you can have teas and black coffee. Chamomile before bed is useful.

The free eating days likewise shuld be tempered by reason, just eat moderate meals every three or four hours and avoid discomfort. If you want sweet stuff, junk, go for it.

I am getting a real feel, for this, scale weight hovering at 13 stone. There is real hnger but there is always a big splurge day on the horizon. I can do two free eating days a week and hold my weight.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7
Faggotry both rampant and insidious

Re: One meal a day

Postby randygillett » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Something I’ve had to finally accept is that the more I try to be something I’m not the more stress I experience. Genetics is like a rubber band that increases in tension the more I try to be leaner, or whatever, than I’m meant to be. Dietary tricks like one meal a day are good for shocking your body and mind into temporary submission but inevitably your genes have their way. You can fight them using various means for a little while or even a long time but the more you deviate the greater the price you’ll pay in the end.
"whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes extinct". ---- Michael Crichton
randygillett
3000 and no tag? PM Snadden for a tag

Postby Jughead » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:56 pm

randygillett wrote:Something I’ve had to finally accept is that the more I try to be something I’m not the more stress I experience.

^^^ Nugget of the year. I battle this constantly. I've accepted it in theory but in practice, well . . .

Upon reflection I see a deeper truth to this. This maxim usually means "a man's got to know his limitations". Which is true, but it's also true that, as above, you have to be what you are. For example, I'm not really, by factory preset, as sluggish as I've been these past few years, thus that way of being is causing stress. So it's not enough to avoid doing things you can't do, you have to also be what you really are, which sometimes means doing more than what you're doing.
What doesn't come out on the page just comes out some other way. -- Stephen King
Jughead
almost as diesel as Chuck Norris

Postby randygillett » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 am

Jughead wrote:
Upon reflection I see a deeper truth to this. This maxim usually means "a man's got to know his limitations". Which is true, but it's also true that, as above, you have to be what you are. For example, I'm not really, by factory preset, as sluggish as I've been these past few years, thus that way of being is causing stress. So it's not enough to avoid doing things you can't do, you have to also be what you really are, which sometimes means doing more than what you're doing.

Yes, this is the case for people who eat themselves fatter than they are supposed to be. Food really isn’t the issue, it’s a drug. They medicate because they, as Henry David Thoreau would say, are not living authentic lives. In other words, they are not living the way that nature designed them to live. The way people live is radically changing and it’s a shock to our free, hunter-gatherer nature. Being owned by a clock and serving a master has its benefits but it takes some coping to deal with the loss freedom that was necessitated by the gain in security.

While this thread is about diet it applies equally to other self-destructive coping mechanisms like drug and alcohol use, inappropriate sexual relations (especially cheating), gambling or excessive shopping. Then there is the more “constructive” forms of coping like climbing Mt. Everest or seeing how much you can deadlift before you snap your shit up. It’s all a waging of war against a less than ideal lifestyle and self-assessed sub-satisfactory genes.
"whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes extinct". ---- Michael Crichton
randygillett

Postby stevein7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 am

Good comment I thought.
Where I would quibble is the idea of a fixed nature, something immutable.
Man is a process.
‘’Either the proletarian revolution is victorious or capitalist barbarism will destroy humanity”.
stevein7

Postby stevein7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 am

Trying to be what you are not...I also think there is something to be said for criticising those who explore the fringes of the body. Squatting hundreds of kilos at 5% bodyfat on anabolics and the like. It's likely gonna mess you up. Natural (or maybe better said non steroid) approaches are not going to allow that level of risk.
stevein7

Postby Jughead » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 am

No. Just no. If people want to push it to do something great, that is admirable. For a broski to hurt himself trying to do something meaningless is another thing.
What doesn't come out on the page just comes out some other way. -- Stephen King
Jughead
almost as diesel as Chuck Norris

Postby randygillett » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 am

stevein7 wrote:Where I would quibble is the idea of a fixed nature, something immutable.
Man is a process.

I don’t believe nature is fixed at all. Nature is constantly changing which causes the problems listed above. Mankind is evolving from a more jack-of-all trades, single-cell, independent being to a dependent, master of one in a multi-cell corporation of men. He is becoming less and less free. He is becoming an ant in a colony or a red blood cell floating through an artery. Some people thrive in this new environment. They are more social. They like doing things within the security of the pack. They are more likely to vote Democrat. They are more likely to hero worship. They are more likely willing to give up their power and freedom to those who wish to rule over them. This is the way of the future (as well as the last 10,000 years) and it’s all perfectly natural but there will be a lot of casualties along the way.

This new, efficient, ease of living, with it’s standing with your nose against the wall for eight hours a day degree of difficulty, isn’t satisfying enough for some. There isn’t enough challenge in it so they create challenge. They wage war against themselves. Sometimes that war results in a powerlifting world championship.. Sometimes it results in another candidate for My 600lb Life. Sometimes it results in a post on a message board by someone who is trying to manipulate his diet In the hope that he finds relief from it all. I completely relate with that guy.
randygillett

Postby Chris McCarthy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 am

Steve, have you ever thought of just eating a bit less than you need? :)
Chris McCarthy
This is a meaningless custom tag

Postby lockout » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:43 pm

I've tried one meal a day before. It works just fine. I think it's all situational. 3-5 meals per day, while unessary, can also work just fine with the right foods. It's all about context. The fact is less meals per day tends to give you more leeway with what you can eat, providing you actually are being reasonable.

As for trying to be something you aren't? I don't agree. It's just an excuse. As long as you aren't aiming for the extreme like 3% year round, you can always improve. I think the real problem is we have too much access to food in the modern world.

I learned this lesson years ago. I had all the excuses in the world, and thought my "chubbiness" was just genetics. When I finally had motivation to try, I was able to progress. I stalled quick. Then when I got solid advice from a friend who was a personal trainer and I followed his plan, the fat started to melt off effortlessly, we're talking 2-3 lbs per week.

That was my lesson. If your method is wrong, you won't get the results regardless of your efforts. And in that case, if you still think you're right, what else can you do but make up excuses? But with a good method, you can and will get the results.

That's just my take. As for specific diets, like I said, it's all situational. With good planning and preparation, you can make an easy diet. If not, you'll have to find a more flexible approach.

The majority of the folks who will never get the results is the people who don't try.
lockout
2nd Rate Lance Wannabe

Postby PierreSuter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Agree with much that Randy said, but I simply see these behaviors as ways of filling a void in a boring/unsatisfying life. Some attempt to fill that void with challenging hobbies, others try to fill it with food, drugs, gambling, church, etc.

One meal a day... would not be my first choice as someone who gets grumpy when I'm hungry. Maybe I would get used to it?
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone."

http://www.springhillfitnesstn.com
PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby randygillett » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:08 pm

PierreSuter wrote:but I simply see these behaviors as ways of filling a void in a boring/unsatisfying life.

That’s my point. Contemporary life is more efficient but can be too easy on some levels. I think a lot of what ails us goes away if we re-adopted a hunter-gatherer lifestyle with its constant challenges of the hunt or otherwise providing for our daily needs. There would be much less chance for boredom and negative behaviors that stem from it. I think that is what draws guys to hunting and fishing so much — not the need for food but the desire to do what’s been programmed for millions of years. The same is true for the restorative effect/state of euphoria from going for a nature walk — it’s simulated “gathering”. I used to feel the same sense as a child digging through garbage looking for aluminum cans or fishing for crawdads in a city waterway.

Of course, it’s unrealistic to go back to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle on any significant scale but changes can be made that can have a positive impact. I learned this firsthand when I built my off-the-grid cabin in the country and spent time there. Compared to my life in civilization I feel like a different person both mentally and physically. One thing that always happens when I move to the country is my body fat plummets. My bodyfat set point changes and it has little or nothing to do with physical activity and much to do about the comfort that comes from peace of mind, aka lack of stress. That was my whole point of treading down this path. I believe Steve is just changing bandaids, whether it be choice of diet or political philosophy, instead of dealing with the root cause.
randygillett

Postby randygillett » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:42 pm

lockout wrote:
I learned this lesson years ago. I had all the excuses in the world, and thought my "chubbiness" was just genetics. When I finally had motivation to try, I was able to progress. I stalled quick. Then when I got solid advice from a friend who was a personal trainer and I followed his plan, the fat started to melt off effortlessly, we're talking 2-3 lbs per week.

It all depends why you were chubby in the first place. Are you not chubby (no more than 15%) any longer? Why not? There’s nothing wrong with trying to be something you’re not if that’s what floats your boat but that is not a healthy long-term choice. I’ve peaked for powerlifting, bodybuilding and bike racing and none of those things I would consider being conducive to optimum physical health even though they were fantastic for my mental health at the time. Hell, I’m not happy unless I’m trying to be something I’m not despite the fact that the end result is meaningless. I really couldn’t care less how much I can squat or how fast I can ride a bike in the grand scheme of things. I’m fairly certain I do those things because I’m not living the life I’m meant to live. They are all forms of coping.
randygillett

Postby PierreSuter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 pm

randygillett wrote: I think that is what draws guys to hunting and fishing so much — not the need for food but the desire to do what’s been programmed for millions of years. The same is true for the restorative effect/state of euphoria from going for a nature walk — it’s simulated “gathering”

Makes a lot of sense! I always wondered if the reason people find wildlife and lake/river scenery beautiful is that it's a survival mechanism meant to draw us closer to those things.

No doubt we have a lot of instincts baked into us over millions of years that tend to get us in trouble today. Instincts to spread our seed, chase after younger women, and copy the behaviors of our parents are three that come to mind. (#metoo). I am strong enough to resist those things but I have felt the tug.

When it comes to weight loss, it seems like the instinct to overeat high calorie foods, which would have been helpful when we were unsure when the next meal was coming, is causing us problems now. My guess is that instinct is a bigger driver of today's obesity epidemic than the stresses of modern life somehow increasing our set point body weight. I could be wrong. But I agree with you that a fair share of morbidly obese people probably get that way by using food to comfort themselves from their boring and unfulfilling lives or other emotional issues.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby randygillett » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:42 pm

PierreSuter wrote:
When it comes to weight loss, it seems like the instinct to overeat high calorie foods, which would have been helpful when we were unsure when the next meal was coming, is causing us problems now. My guess is that instinct is a bigger driver of today's obesity epidemic than the stresses of modern life somehow increasing our set point body weight. I could be wrong. But I agree with you that a fair share of morbidly obese people probably get that way by using food to comfort themselves from their boring and unfulfilling lives or other emotional issues.

I’m sure the instinct to gorge plays a part, especially for us northern people who couldn’t count on their next meal arriving in a timely fashion. Many is the time I have continued eating, especially during holidays (or after a bodybuilding contest) even though the pain receptors in my stomach were telling me to stop. If there was a piece of pumpkin pie left and I was still able to take the smallest of breaths it was going to be preyed upon.

The current obesity rate is a relatively new phenomena though — more recent than the increased availability of food. There has to be something else at play there. It could be some form of new stress. Perhaps it could be due to video games. I don’t play them but I from what I’ve seen they look like they could take a toll on your nervous system. I know the increased stress that comes from intense training, whether on the bike or in the weight room, drives my bodyfat set point up, at least when I’m natty. I’ve always found it easier to cut fat/weight when I trained at a lower intensity or hardly at all. The same is true when I retired leaving a physically and mentally stressful job. I was much leaner in my forties than I ever was when I was younger. The saving grace of the stress I put my body through was that it burned a lot of calories. I don’t think the same can be said for playing video games.
randygillett

Postby PierreSuter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Conventional wisdom would say the problem with video games is that you're just sitting there (and possibly consuming chips & coke) rather than doing something more active that burns calories. That's not to say there's not more happening on a deeper level, who knows. There's some weird shit going on that we can't explain like the recent prevalence of autism so we definitely don't have a handle on all the effects of our modern lifestyle.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby GTheo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:17 pm

randygillett wrote:Something I’ve had to finally accept is that the more I try to be something I’m not the more stress I experience.

Isn't this the reason most of us began lifting, to be something we were not? I started because I didn't like being skinny and weak. Up to that point in my life that is who I was....skinny and weak.

Now, 41 years later, this is who I am....a lifter.
"...and the way to lower a weight after you have cleaned it is to fucking lower it you pussy." -- MLL

"No matter which you choose, you won't be too far from being right." -- JChang
GTheo
No tagline means we HATE YOU GEORGE!

Postby GTheo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Other than some yogurt and a few handfuls of almonds, I only eat one, relatively large, meal a day at dinner.

Oh, and sometimes a few pieces of cheese here and there. I'm not real strict about it.
"...and the way to lower a weight after you have cleaned it is to fucking lower it you pussy." -- MLL

GTheo

Postby randygillett » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:27 pm

GTheo wrote:

Isn't this the reason most of us began lifting, to be something we were not? I started because I didn't like being skinny and weak. Up to that point in my life that is who I was....skinny and weak.

Now, 41 years later, this is who I am....a lifter.

Being a lifter is one thing. You could throw around 100-200lbs every day and be healthy. Taking it to the extreme by pushing your body to the max in an effort to hit your ultimate one-rep max in a lift requires you to be your best at one thing and worse at every other thing in life. It requires stressing yourself to the breaking point. This state of being is costly and not maintainable. The same is true of diet. Anyone can achieve a 10% body fat level and be lean but if your comfort zone is in the 15-20% range then living at 10% (being something that you are not) Is going to cause you to be in a constant state of stress, anxiety, and depletion. It’s a question of being the best every day version of yourself versus achieving your best momentary peak. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with striving for a peak. If Steven said he wanted to get lean for summer vacation I would have kept my mouth shut but I don’t believe that’s what’s happening here. I believe he is resorting to tricks in an effort to beat a lifelong problem, something I can relate to. He (and I) have failed to maintain the physiques we desire on a full-time basis. After years of trying various diets and ultimately failing I suspect that one meal a day is not a long-term solution.
randygillett

Postby lockout » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:38 am

randygillett wrote:It all depends why you were chubby in the first place. Are you not chubby (no more than 15%) any longer? Why not? .

Fat accumulates due to consuming more calories than you burn, which is WAY too easy to do in this modern world of abundance.

I've been able to maintain a descent weight a lot better over the last several years. I've even been quite lean a few times, even with abs. But I've gotten a little bit heavy a few times too, just not as bad as before.

The difference is I know now what to do, unlike before. If you know good methods that work, then it's your own fault if you choose not to. But if you don't know how, you'll be lost in the dark.

That's just my take. If I choose to eat cookies and ice cream, that has nothing to do with genetics.

And that part about being lost in the dark really has been a common thing for a lot of people in USA as I've seen it. I remember my first time I started to get really lean, under 180 lbs again, and I actually felt truly thin for the first time in 10-15 years. It really did feel great.

I was doing my own version of the fast 5 diet back then. Meanwhile my obese coworkers kept getting fatter by the week, because they thought they needed to keep snacking in order to keep their metabolism going. Yet they refused to believe that what I was doing could be working, despite the fact that I was getting leaner by the week.

So when you talk about wanting to be something you're not, I guess I kind of get it. It just depends on what you're trying to be. What's realistic? Some people do have unrealistic goals or even just a bit extreme. Other people fail by setting way too low of standards because they've failed to realize what is possible.

In USA that's a common problem. Take a look around and see that most people are disgustingly obese. Does that mean it's normal and we should too? Fuck that?!!!
lockout
2nd Rate Lance Wannabe

Postby lockout » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 am

randygillett wrote:Being a lifter is one thing. You could throw around 100-200lbs every day and be healthy. Taking it to the extreme by pushing your body to the max in an effort to hit your ultimate one-rep max in a lift requires you to be your best at one thing and worse at every other thing in life. It requires stressing yourself to the breaking point. This state of being is costly and not maintainable. The same is true of diet. Anyone can achieve a 10% body fat level and be lean but if your comfort zone is in the 15-20% range then living at 10% (being something that you are not) Is going to cause you to be in a constant state of stress, anxiety, and depletion. It’s a question of being the best every day version of yourself versus achieving your best momentary peak. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with striving for a peak. If Steven said he wanted to get lean for summer vacation I would have kept my mouth shut but I don’t believe that’s what’s happening here. I believe he is resorting to tricks in an effort to beat a lifelong problem, something I can relate to. He (and I) have failed to maintain the physiques we desire on a full-time basis. After years of trying various diets and ultimately failing I suspect that one meal a day is not a long-term solution.

I never thought it was too hard to get to the next level of leanness. The strategies I've used are dirt simple. But the question is how do you want to spend your life? I can diet down stress free. It's easy.

The real problem? Eating is a social event.

Another problem is if you slack off for too hard for too long. If you do that, you're fucked! Dieting to lose 5 lbs is easy, 10 lbs is harder but doable. But 40 lbs? It's either going to suck really bad if you do it fast, or you'll have to break it up over a few years.

The logic is there. The math is there. Bottom line is the more you slack off, the harder you make it on yourself in the long run. Because losing 50 lbs is a lot harder to do than it is to lose 5.
lockout
2nd Rate Lance Wannabe

Postby randygillett » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:52 pm

lockout wrote:Take a look around and see that most people are disgustingly obese. Does that mean it's normal and we should too? Fuck that?!!!

That’s not what I implied. To the contrary, it supports my claim. The vast majority of overweight were not designed to be that way. Nor were they designed to sit in a cubicle 8-10 hours a day, play endless hours of video games, or post incessantly on message boards. Nature didn’t intend this for them but for one reason or another this is the lifestyle they fell into and it is taking a toll. It’s causing them stress which in many cases causes them to behave in ways that induces even more stress. On the flip side you have a very small percentage of people who were born destined to be fat. It is possible for them to achieve a normal body weight but to do so would require them to wage a never ending battle against their endocrine system which would be as stressful as a bodybuilder trying to maintain stage condition perpetually.
randygillett

Postby randygillett » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:15 pm

lockout wrote:I can diet down stress free. It's easy.

I could argue that you can’t. The stress of saying no to food you didn’t need caused your weight to be up in the first place. How does it feel to say no to that bowl of ice cream or extra slice of pizza? Now, if you want to lose weight you have to put every cell in your body into a state of deprivation which is a stress. You may fool yourself into thinking it’s easy because you’ve decided that there is something you want more than the extra food. You’ve whipped your endocrine system into a frenzy with the thought of walking around ripped on the beach causing big breasted, scantily clad women to swoon in your presence. That hyper-drive state is also a stress. You’re riding on the cortisol express. Next stop — Stressville.
randygillett

Postby stevein7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:03 am

For me, every which way has advantages and disadvantages. The one meal a day diet for 5 days a week is easier than permanent moderation (for me). You can easily do a calorie count for one meal too (if you want), the meal satisfies and the bulk of the day you feel hunger free. The main issue is the morning before the breakfast which I usually do at around 1pm.
But there is a mechanism at play here. After the overnight fast one's hunger is reduced, different, you are now in fasting mode and you simply have to prolong it beyond the norm.
All in all you may eat about the sdame number of calories but it is coming in one big pulse. It shuts down the hunger, you feel bloated for a while. If you have a lifestyle that allows all of this but you suffer no negatives, it works well.
I theorise that the exact same number of calories in one meal per day as opposed to three or four spread out results in less fat. Insulin is only triggered once. There is a big window of time where fat stores are available.
The OMAD is only a more extreme version of leangains. Once you have got used to the leangains regime (which allows an 8 hour feeding window) going down to OMAD is fairly easy.
OMAD encourages the relaxed days. You can sop being driven by fitness thinking and eat freely on these occasions. That gives you a good time socialising, with family etc.

The trouble with simply eating less is that you have to be on the ball all the time. You never feel right. It s more than just number of calories.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10 ... g#section5

OMAD is one of those things that you have to ease into. ITs like training daily. When I started out, I would not think I would be able to train hard daily.
stevein7

Postby stevein7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:10 am

Likely in prehistory and much of history, much of humanity faced involuntary food shortage and physical exertion. The body has evolved to deal with these hard conditions and paradoxically finds abundance and ease a killer. Many of us have to artificially introduce the stresses of food deprivation and physical exertion. Likely we cannot match conditions of way back when, but we do our best.
We have different perspectives, fine. Some of us see roided up 400+k squats as the goal, some of us see general wellness as the goal. Nobody can be said to be wrong in this regard, but all must make a choice which can vary over time, moving from one goal to another.
stevein7

Postby stevein7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:39 am

stevein7

Postby stevein7 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:56 am

Partly in response to this thread, partly because of my mother buying me a load of sweet stuff from Turkey, I thought I'd do a little experiment.

One mal a day of a shitload of food. I mean stuffing it down, followed by a load of sweet stuff.

Point being is I want convenience. No measuring counting bar for including 3 protein scoops.

Starve 23 hours, pig one hour. Totally simple.

I'll give it a week, see what happens.

I think I can predict some weight gain, but I am curious.
stevein7

Postby randygillett » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:21 am

stevein7 wrote:

No need to wait. Those goodies in the house will weigh so heavily on my mind that I will break down and eat them all. I will then resent my mother for being the enabler and go through a period of greater self-loathing. Then, like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, I will return with a new foolproof plan.

Wait, did I say I? I meant you.
randygillett

Postby randygillett » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:25 am

Seriously though. If you want your plan to work you have to simulate a natural environment. After a good night’s sleep you should roam the grocery aisles for no less than fifteen hours before your one-hour feast.
randygillett

Postby GTheo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:12 am

stevein7 wrote:Starve 23 hours, pig one hour. Totally simple.

I think I can predict some weight gain, but I am curious.

If you did this for week but only ate low carb, real foods (meat, eggs, veggies, nuts and cheeses), I bet you'd lose weight....possibly too much. Experiment #2? Maybe a couple of weeks post-Experiment #1?

I'm tempted to try, but I have a couple of meets (and a vacation in between them) over the next two months. I'm not willing to sacrifice performance. Getting older is doing enough of that for me.

GTheo

Postby stevein7 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:04 am

Yes, feeling my way. First do the extreme version no restriction. Then if that is negative (I half expect it) start cleaning it up.

Today it is 12 noon and I am going to train, have not eaten since yesterdays one big meal and I have no great hunger.

Although we have come to regard the sugary stuff as bad, I read that consumed within an hour of a workout it is useful.

The positive I see here is that you get one insulin spike post workout then that is it. Given that bodyfat can only be burnt in the absence of insulin, it may not be too bad to feast on whatever for that one meal. I will see. At this stage of the game, I have no desire to gain weight, so if things go wrong, the experiment will be curtailed.
stevein7

Postby stevein7 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:25 am

Sugar phobia...is generally justified, but the post workout meal is exceptional...

"In contrast, consuming sugar after a workout is vital for restocking muscle-glycogen stores. In fact, in the hour immediately after a workout, almost none of the sugar you eat will be used to form fat. This is where high-glycemic-index foods come into play. Since insulin is anabolic-it quickly shunts nutrients into your muscles, stopping muscle breakdown while hastening repair-a quick insulin spike right after a workout is desirable."
stevein7

Postby PierreSuter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:53 am

I always crave carbs 30-45 minutes after a hard workout... good to know research backs up the benefits.

Beyond the post workout meal, I don't place much importance on meal timing, but if one method is superior for gaining/preserving lean muscle I tend to side with bodybuilders who eat many small meals throughout the day. It's a pain in the ass to live that way, so they wouldn't do it unless it worked. If you don't care so much about a few pounds of muscle and mainly want to see the scale drop as easily as possible then sure OMAD is worth a shot.

PierreSuter
Lucky Pierre

Postby stevein7 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:55 am

Fasting has big health benefits. Huge increases in growth hormone, insulin sensitivity and anti ageing.

Every day I find the Omad easier.

Hunger is not the issue now.

I eat a lot in the post workout meal.

I now train earlier in the day, eat earlier and am fuelled all day.

Apart from ensuring at least a modicum of protein, three scoops, I simply eat what I fancy till fed up.

It's that simple.

Eat once, eat a lot.
stevein7

Postby stevein7 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:44 am

OK, wrapping the experiment up.

So, I deliberately set out to eat a shit load of sugary junk alongside my normal meal (plus protein shake) to test the powers of OMAD.

Well, contrary to expectation, I lost weight. My lifting belt is looser at the customary hole.

But that is not a reason to carry on, it was an experiment, no more.

I am in fact going back to the leangains protocol which is an 8 hour eating window simply because I have no desire to get any smaller and am happy to be 82.5-83 kg.
The one meal a day diet has a lot going for it but I have a few negatives.
I work mostly in the evening and I still have a big lump of food digesting at that time from the one meal. Ideally one would not have to work between eating and sleeping. I could eat late at night after work, but that would mean the meal would no longer be a post workout one, which I believe confers a good part of the benefits.
The big feed to sustain weight maintenance and training is a lot at once. It can be done, but it knocks one out of action for hours.
Lesson for me here is that OMAD is a very effective weight loss technique and if I need to I will revisit. Meanwhile for maintenance, leangains protocol of 8 hour feeding/ 16 hours fasting is a bit more convenient in my current situation.

But a good experiment, learnt a few things about my body, hunger etc.
stevein7

Return to Training